Checking the user guide

Hey all!

When flying on the expert server, you probably hear “Callsign, please check the user guide on the home screen for help using ATC instructions.”

@lucaviness and I were digging through the user guide, and there is NOTHING explaining how to communicate with ATC! If this is true, then how can us controllers tell someone to check the tutorials when there’s nothing to check?

If there is a section, would you please tell me the section? Thanks!

3 Likes

That’s 2 years old, and besides, the command says “Please check the user guide on the home screen”, not “Please check @azeeuwnl’s topic on the IFC”. :)

2 Likes

That has nothing to do with the user guide. What @PlaneGeek is saying is that it doesn’t say anything in the user guide about following user instructions.

2 Likes

Which phase of flight were you in? Accordingly, I could link you to the relevant section of the user guide.

He’s the controller issuing the command…

1 Like

No need for smart comments. A simple, “I’m not referring to Check Help Pages” would suffice. Keep that in mind moving forward when replying. Anyways, the user guide can be found here:

Both Pilot and ATC guides can be found here. If you can’t find what it is you’re looking for in the pilot/flying guide, then refer to the ATC guide. It may not explicitly tell you how and what commands you need to press and when. Rather, it is up to the pilot to put in the work and read through the guide to gain and grasp the understanding so that they can be successful. If you wish to fly on the Expert Server, it will be in your best interest to read and try to understand the material in the guides to the best of your ability. If reading a guide is not something that one wishes to do, the it would also be in your best interest to continue practicing on the Training Server, until you have read through the guide and then jump onto the Expert Server.

Too many times, I’ve seen, “I didn’t know that I couldn’t do that” or “But I thought I could do this/that”. Something to remember is that the Expert Server follows real world rules and procedures. The User Guide was written based on those real world rules and procedures, so it only makes sense to give them a read.

There is quite a bit to check. Within the user guides are chapters and subsections. Depending on what caused you or another controller to issue “Check user guide on the home screen…” will indicate to that pilot that they should check the user guide because whatever they just did was not right.

11 Likes

I’ve been asking for a list of ATC-pilot commands and their explanation for a while now lol
or at least just a list so I can research them on my own

I’m confused. ATC says “Cleared for takeoff” = Pilot is “cleared for takeoff”. 95% if not more of the ATC-Pilot commands, are rather self explanatory, are they not?

@DeerCrusher Thank you for the feedback. With all do respect, the majority of time, CUG is issued for pilots that don’t know how to communicate with ATC, like calling in incorrectly, etc. What I am trying to understand is, if the pilot decides to check the guide for the reason why they received the CUG, what will they learn from it? The guide does an amazing job on explaining the flying side of things, but what about how to communicate? Is there a way we can get that added in a future update?

I absolutely agree that pilots should use all available resources to learn before and after their mistakes. A specific example of what we were looking for is calling inbound correctly. From what I’ve seen while controlling, a large percentage of pilots don’t know to call inbound on the ILS instead of calling inbound for landing. It’s one of the main reasons that pilots are issued a “Check User Guide”. If pilots were to take that message and head over to the user guide, they would find tutorials on the general API, how to fly, and how to control. Nothing on communicating with ATC. No where in the user guide does it mention the difference between calling inbound on the visual/ILS/GPS and calling inbound for landing. I think it would be great if that was a section in the user guide because as of now, there seems to be nothing specific to check.

3 Likes

that’s not the issue lol. But i do believe quick and easy answers will help all of us enjoy expert server more. People will know how to communicate much better. A lot of the pilots here are kids tbh, so why not make it easier to be more realistic? I’ve read the guides a few times (I don’t mind, aviation really interests me), but I also don’t like the “avoid unnecessary ghosts” warning when I make a mistake in communication. And the check guide command is annoying since I check it regularly…

Ah. 😁Have you watched the GPS Approach video yet?

1 Like

Yessir I have.

which one is that? One I found is 4 years old

is it on youtube?

01:00 mark. Teaches users how to call inbound correctly.

That explains how to request an approach, not how to call inbound when communicating with the tower controller, which is the main mistake I see when controlling.

that doesn’t explain calling inbound, and I think that’s with approach frequency?

Mr. PlaneGeek was not specific so that’s why I provided the answer that I did. If its really an issue, more specific details would have been offered on the first time around.

The bigger question, is, “Is the issue of calling inbound anywhere near as big of a problem that you guys are making it?” In what ways is it causing an issue to controllers?

I ask this to jog some creative thinking and brainstorming.

3 Likes

I’d say (and many other controllers would agree) that calling inbound incorrectly is the biggest issue we face. However, there are many other things, such as checking in and requesting a service. That’s annoying. I’ve noticed that when we radar controllers say “say approach request”, many users request a descent via the STAR, rather than an approach request. There’s also the classic remaining in the pattern thing

There are some smaller things like how to request takeoff at airports like EIDW.

I think if there was a section made in the guide specifically on how to communicate with ATC, and how to correctly use it, it would help many users and possibly give them a boost in professionalism!

3 Likes