'CHECK IN' or 'flight following'?

hello aviaters!

i have a question about ‘check in’ and when to use it. I know that people have already made discussions about his topic, but i couldn’t really find MY answer.
My biggest question is:
when do you use the command check in as a pilot? in some other topics it looked like ‘Check in’ is used instead of ‘flight following’ most of the times; is that right?

Correction, Flight Following means you will follow your flight plan but ATC will make adjustments to your heading/altitude if needed.

2 Likes

Check in is the IFR version of flight following. In most cases, when you get handed off to departure in a commercial airliner, you will check in. In addition, check in is also used when you get handed off from initial approach to final approach.

3 Likes

don’t you only use #support when their is something wrong with the application IF on your Phone?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

3 Likes

Correction, its only used for problems/bugs with the app. Please don’t assume things, or state false info.

2 Likes

but should you use ‘check in’ also everytime you switch between frequencies just to notify the controller that you’re on their frequency?

No, keep it here in #live, that is false info.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

No. Just when you’re handed off to approach and you were on a different radar frequency, or you’re requesting flight following

1 Like

i also thought that you only used it for this kind of things

1 Like

@Aviator_Airbus ok (-:

2 Likes

I see way too many people requesting flight following when flying commercial jets. IF you’re departing an airport and get handed to departure you ‘Check in’. Only request flight following when flying VFR.

1 Like

but in mark denton his tutorial on ‘flight following’ he told us something different? @Chad_Garnett

Just to clear things up…

• #support is only used for issues within the app, live is the perfect category for this post.

• Flight following and check in can be used interchangeably on departure, however it is preferred that you check in rather than using FF when flying in a commercial aircraft. FF is used for VFR flying.

• Check in can also be used when handed off to final approach after being initially vectored by a radar frequency and you are directly handed off to the next frequency in line.

4 Likes

as example: 3 days ago i flew from somewhere in America to somewhere in Argentine and were handed off to departure, the first thing i did was check in so he knew that i was on his frequency and after that i asked FF. is that wrong, and if yes what about it?

Yes, you should just pick one or the other. Check in would have been suitable in that case since you were in a commercial airliner.

Well, if you already requested a FF, then he/she already knows you’re on their frequency.

I know this is a side issue right now… but there’s an issue with IF where if you hit check in that it disconnects you from being able to communicate…

so if you want Approach help, highly suggest just asking for what you want for the time being (requesting ILS, GPS, Visual for example).