Change Number Pronunciation

Hello, Infinite Flight Community!

The Current Issue
Currently in Infinite Flight, in ATC, the some of the numbers are not pronounced properly. These are the numbers three (3) and nine (9). In IF, they are pronounced as “three” and “nine”. The should be, as many of you will know, pronounced “tree” and “niner”. This is because you don’t want to confuse three as in the number 3 with the English word “free” meaning unpaid or released. The word “niner” is use instead of nine to avoid confusion with the Germany word “nein” meaning “no” in English.
Example: American Airlines flight AA2391, would use the callsign “American two tree niner one” not “American two three nine one”. This is how we typically say it in Europe. I know, in other regions of the world, it is more relaxed.
I hope that makes sense.

Why Is This Important?
Well, it makes it more realistic. Isn’t that what we all go for? Do you want your flights to be more realistic, even if it is only a minor thing? I sure do!
Below, I have produced a video demonstrating how it should be pronounced in case anyone is unclear, although I am sure many of you do understand.

Thank you!!

I noticed this as well. I’ll probably go clear a vote from a feature that’s now confirmed.

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

As we’re using the built in text-to-speech engines in the devices, we are not in control on how these things are pronounced I’m afraid.

23 Likes

I thought we use niner (at least in ATIS)

2 Likes

I never thought about it but now it makes sense and i want it.

2 Likes

That’s only in America as well.

1 Like

Nope, if anything I see many americans not use it. We definitely, definitely, use it in Europe.
Edit: That wasn’t suppose to be an insult by the way, I hope noone took it as such. I just mean that typically, I hear “tree” and “niner” not being used more in the states.

2 Likes

Yeah, I did think that would be the case. I just wasn’t sure if instead of telling the TTS to say “3” you could tell it you wanted it to say “tree”. Like, as in, literally type in “tree” to the ATC TTS. Honestly, I have no experience with anything like that so I don’t know. I just thought that because I can get this, you could.

Again, this was a huge assumption. If you can’t, you can’t. I get it. So just close the topic.

2 Likes

Is it really said as “tree” in the real world?

2 Likes

yup!

1 Like

I did not know that…

2 Likes

well now you do!

1 Like

Yes…

1 Like

Voted! Always want to see increases in realism…

1 Like

Oh yes sorry, I was thinking of the letters in callsign.

2 Likes

The pronouciation for 9 should definitely be changed. However IMO this should be an option in case the TTS pronouces the I in NINER as a short i sound.

I don’t know if there is a way to force TTS to say 3 correctly. The correct sound I’ve heard is actually t-ree, where t and r are seperated sounds, not the word “tree”.

Technically, 5 should be FIFE with an f sound, but this is hard to heard anyways.

MaxSez; ICAO sez: (English is the specific language of aviation worldwide.)

Numeral
Spoken As

ZE
RO

WUN

TOO

TREE

FOW
ER

FIFE

SIX

SEV
EN

AIT

NIN
ER

3 Likes

I hear it like not the English word “tree”, but t-ree.

See that depends on who you ask. If you ask someone who strives for as much realism as possible, like you, obviously you’d say yes. Now, if you ask someone who doesn’t really pay too much attention to realism and is there for the fun in flying, like me, I’d say no.