Challenging airports

What has been a challenging airport you guys had landed at?

6 Likes

Madeira Funchal LPMA visual runway 05

12 Likes

Reno has a difficult approach because of the mountains, and the DCA river visual is always a challenge

7 Likes

Innsbruck circle to land 08

13 Likes

Landing on 02 at Toncontin MHTG is a really difficult approach. Queenstown NZQN is pretty difficult to land at as well and it’s up coming on the ATC schedule. Also St Helena FHSH is pretty difficult to land at too cuz the runway is really short and there is a constant 15-17+kt crosswind.

5 Likes

Paro, St Barths, Lukla, Tincontin (Honduras), Split, Queen’s town and many others👍🏻

7 Likes

Yes, many of these listed above 😂. Also taking off out of certain airports can be challenging too, but I know that’s not the question being asked. Good topic idea though, many people may get bored and want to try some of these airports!

2 Likes

St Helena with a crosswind can be VERY hard.

6 Likes

WMBT. Nuff said.

2 Likes

Could agree more, I landed there a couple of days ago and I had to go around on my first attempt to land

1 Like

SPGL

Landing on runway 15 at KDCA

1 Like

Tivat, Montenegro 🇲🇪

3 Likes

Landing at Athens (LGAV) was pretty challenging.

Do the Canserie runway 13s approach into JFK. It has you turn final seconds before the runway and it is a large airport with many routes. I personally did this one in a B772ER once and buttered but it sure was a great approach.

Another one would be the legendary checkerboard visual into the old Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport runway 13. If you have ever seems B747 fly mere feet over buildings in an east Asia city this is the airport, otherwise check some of the videos out, they are amazing. The approach itself has you fly straight towards a mountain and moments before touching down do a 45° right hand turn to align with the runway! In IF the airport code is VHHX. Although now demolished, IF kept the airport so you can do this fun approach if you want to!

Below I have linked two videos to both approaches I talked about above!
KJFK: https://youtu.be/uKmTe6cUo9E
VHHX: https://youtu.be/lx3Ccs5tKfw

2 Likes

LQSA, Sarajevo. Right in the middle of a bunch of mountains. Approach has you near nosedive.

3 Likes

7AK2. It’s a very short gravel runway that is surrounded by mountains except for a narrow entrance.

Calvi
LFKC
Circle to land

NZQN 05 Approach, short runway and mountains close on both sides. Plus, you have to turn right before you land

SBRJ and SBSP