Cessna 172 Flight for Mexican Food. Things don't go as planned!

Today myself, my brother and a good friend of mine flew from my home airport at KSRC down too KTXK for some Mexican food.
Departure: We departed Searcys Runway 1 at 10:15 am CST about 15 minutes behind schedule due to traffic and getting to the airport a little late. We had a wind from the east at 8 knots so it was a good day to practice crosswind takeoffs. After climbing to 3000 feet and 7 miles to the south, we contacted Little Rock approach for flight following. They gave us a squak of 5651 and gave us an altimeter setting.
Cruise: We cruised at an altitude of 4500 feet with a 3 knot headwind. We were planning on going to 6500 but that had a headwind of 20 knots. We leveled off at 4500 and proceeded to talk with LR appeal for the next 20 miles.
Decent/Diversion while with Memphis Center we were looking at the weather radar and noticed some rain cell up ahead and at our destination as well. While we could have made it, both myself and my brother errored on the side of caution as we were in a good area that we know and there was a nice major GA airport nearby. After talking with the bro, we decided too notify Memphis of our change and proceeded direct to Hot Springs, KHOT where we made a safe and uneventful landing.
However, we did happen too get Mexican food so it all worked out in the end. Both myself, the bro and our friend enjoyed the flight and experience!

19 Likes

i love the reason i love Mexican food xD but that looks like an amazing flight

2 Likes

How was the expirence of diverting down to another airport… How long did it take to recalulate weather and i dont know if this was vfr or ifr, but how did you enjoy the outcome of the flight when you touched down? I would love to hear more. Whats with going out for food? First its burgers, now its mexican.

4 Likes

Honestly, Its not a big deal. This would have been my second time doing it. I diverted last year due to a thunderstorm on top of my home airport in my buddies Beechcraft Baron that was under IFR. This flight was under VFR rules so the controller didnt seem to mine at all. The outcome of the flight was great. We just did something else and had fun. Pilots love too eat and will go anywhere for food

3 Likes

The freedom of flying is amazing

3 Likes

I agree it completely is

3 Likes

My goodness! Everyone’s flying out for some lunch.

8 Likes

It was the best day for lunch! Straight two weeks of rain!

2 Likes

For a minute I thought it was going to turn into, “I had too much Taco Bell and had to divert.” Now that would have made a better story.

4 Likes

Now That would have been funny

1 Like

Lol. Such a shame I don’t like Taco Bell.

3 Likes

What was your preflight planning like for this one?

I found it surprising that you were seemingly unaware of a cell over your destination that was only ~150NM away. Did you check destination and enroute weather prior or was this planned on the go due to being late?

Glad you all made it in one piece without incident!

11 Likes

We absolutely planned a weather brief and looked at the weather Before and within a few minutes of departure. We belive it was a Virga since ATC didn’t have anything showing on there radar. But nether the less, since I had a friend of mine on Board and had to be back I didn’t want too be press for time

1 Like

Traffic in searcy, I don’t believe you! Lol

I’ve got a buddy that works there

I miss the horse races… went to those like some people go to church…

1 Like

Haha there was a student solo going on there. So decided to be nice. And really, would be cool to know who it is. I met a controller on a FB page I’m a part of for Arkansas aviation! I’ve never been to the horse races! If your ever back let me know!

2 Likes

Thanks for the trip report, sounded great fun!

As both you and your bro are pilots do you take turns at being PIC, with one of you as PF and the other PM?

Must make for some intresting CRM situations!

Happy contrails!

2 Likes

That’s correct! We both take turns being PIC. Ryan usually takes the leg down and I take the leg back up home! Person not flying is talking on the radio and doing everything else!

2 Likes

Great stuff, sounds like excellent planning there and certinaly gives you some CRM experince for the future!

1 Like

Absolutely. CRM is a great thing too have! Takes slot of the stress and responsibilities off the PF

4 Likes

Yes there the odd occasions in IF when a co-pilot to handle coms and lights etc would be useful…;-)

1 Like