Cessna 172 cruise Alt

I’m about to do a short Cessna 172 flight. What is a good cruise speed/altitude

3 Likes

Cessna 172 long distance Read this thread 👍🏻

3 Likes

Are you flying VFR or IFR? How longs the flight? What direction are you flying? For speed, you mainly utilize RPM’s in the C172. You don’t set the autopilots speed. I usually aim for anywhere in between 2200-2500 RPM’s at cruise.

2 Likes

Ok.I said short haul though… I guess it is in here

1 Like

Ok. I’m doing a VFR and doing touch-and goes

1 Like

Are you flying pattern work?

2 Likes

5,000’ to 8,000’. Even for westbound, odd for eastbound. Add 500’ if you’re flying with visual reference to the ground.

2 Likes

1000’ above the airport when you’re in the pattern

2 Likes

Thanks guys for the help. I very well appreciate it

1 Like

So cruising in a Cessna…

Firstly let’s look at how to chose a VFR or IFR altitude. VFR is thousand plus 500, IFR is flat thousands. So for example VFR is 2,500 3,500 4,500 and so on, IFR is 2,000 3,000 4,000 etc. Your altitude will depend on your heading, use the phrase East is least West is best to remember which to use. East is odd thousands, West is even thousands. For example if we are heading East VFR we would use 3,500 for example, headed West IFR we might use 6,000 feet, etc.

Now for the Cessna 172 specifically we will be pretty low. We want to maintain an altitude which gives us appropriate terrain clearance, let’s say a thousand feet, and if flying over water allows us to ideally glide to land. If flying past gliding distance we have other considerations not really applicable to Infinite Flight. Next consideration will be distance of the flight, how long will it be? Higher will give us better fuel economy, more gliding options, and maybe help us dodge some lower airspace of weather. A lot of those advantages are negated though if you actually are doing a really shot flight and climb becomes a significant portion of the flight. I think in the 3-5,000 foot range is probably appropriate most of the time. I wouldn’t really want to be cruising below 3,500 feet, and I think I can count on one (maybe two) hands the number of times I have been above 5,500 feet in the C172.

As for speed we really look at power setting and what IAS that will give us. Let’s use 2,500 RPM which will give us about 115 KIAS (113 in aircraft without speed fairings but I doubt IF is that accurate) and a fuel burn of 9.5 gallons an hour.

3 Likes

What happened to you… :(

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.