Cessna 172 Climb Problems

Not sure where to put this. Maybe support, but it’s not an issue with IF. Okay, here’s the scenario:

Whenever I takeoff in the Cessna 172, the plane struggles to gain speed and I have to climb very slowly, it takes a while to reach 1000ft AAL, which is standard pattern altitude. The plane is at full power, and I have watched some tutorials but it isn’t helping. Every time I try to pitch the nose up, the speed dips. I’m not sure how to fix this, but I’m pretty sure I’m doing something wrong, because I should be able to get ti 1000’ fairly quickly. Any help is appreciated!

5 Likes

The C172 has a generally slow climb. What’s your V/S?

2 Likes

Around 200-300 fpm

1 Like

Are you heavy? What is you’re current weight and winds?

2 Likes

I am at default weight, and winds are calm. It happens to me every time, I don’t think its a weight or winds problem. (I think my load is medium)

1 Like

This is a very annoying problem, I have faded it many times.
It seems like the plane just doesn’t want to get higher but surprisingly, practice does make perfect even though at first it seems impossible with the C172.

I suggest 10° flaps on takeoff and a rotate speed of 60-65 knots (slightly fast) maintain runway heading until your speed has reached 70 knots (this happens quite quickly if performed correctly). this will give you roughly +400-500 V/S and will get you up to the pattern altitude when on the downwind.

2 Likes

Yes - to second this, you have to get the 172 to a relatively high speed, so try to get pretty fast before you take off. Also, climb very slowly on rotation so you don’t lose speed immediately. Once you’re at 75-80 knots you shouldn’t have any problem climbing and maintaining that speed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help!

Hello,

Dont forget that the mixture can get you an extra little sliver of power if managed correctly so give that a try and just wait to start a climb till you get to 75knts no flaps because when you take the flaps off you could loose it all. That is my rule

Good Luck,
Blake

1 Like

The 172 is a fairly weak and weight-sensitive aircraft, and a lot can go wrong during takeoff.

I suggest not using flaps (if the runway is long enough) and rotate around 60-65KIAS. Keep in mind your weight and climbing at an appropriate rate. The max climb for the 172 is around 700FPM if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

Where are you flying?

1 Like

I usually fly patterns at various airports around the world, the but the airports I most commonly fly the 172 at are KSQL and KPAO

Same problem here. Even in calm winds the plane can barely climb. Pulling the nose up too high also kills the plane.

1 Like

Based on advice given to me in this thread, I would say rotate around 60-65 knots, and don’t start full climb until you reach 75 knots. For more info, you can scroll up in this thread!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I start to climb at 40 knots already.

1 Like

40 knots is way too slow of a climb, a better climb rate is anywhere between 70-85 knots

1 Like

Adding on to what @AviatorNikola said the average climb rate of a C172 irl at sea level is around 700fpm (depending on your weight) when you’re climbing at the optimum speed. This climb rate also reduces as you climb higher. So you wouldn’t really expect a much higher climb rate from the C172 than what you’re getting in the first place.

2 Likes