Cessna 172; Any tips for more stable flying experience or not?

I flew the Cessna 172 in live just an hour ago, and the plane was shaking, and when I was taking off, it would turn over on its side or upside. The Cessna 172 is light I presume, but is there a way to get it to not shake, like changing the weight, or is the Cessna 172 a dud in the lightest of winds. If this is an extra weight topic, please tell me.

1 Like

Sounds to me like wind. If you’re trying to fly from an airport with heavy winds it can make flying the 172 very difficult. Especially landing.

1 Like

@Maverick So says the man standing next to one, @C_Baccari yes, does sound like wind, also try to turn control sensitivity down if you can.

What can I say…Real life experience. Last week I flew pattern work in 22kts gusting to 31kts, what a workout.

Learning to use the rudder …

Get to know your rudder by flying thru valleys and over ridges, especially with windage, with your thumb on the rudder, or whatever digit or controller you use, when going thru valleys and such, steer the aircraft with the rudder as you bank/climb/descent, remember to adjust throttle for one of three scenarios, either climb steady as you go or descending. Having the dynamic pip showing trajectory in the HUD, use it (the rudder) to manipulate the trajectory of the aircraft thru the valleys and such … That same principle is how you steer the aircraft on the ground, though without the HUD. Hope this helps 😎

Okay boys, trim that rudder!

As an aside, the wind effect on the aircraft in IF is a little inaccurate, - as in, it’s too strong so even in the lightest winds you tend to get blown off the runway. It’s not a big deal, just a bit of trivia.

However; as others have mentioned, you can go a long way by using your rudder to counteract it. The trick is to anticipate it a little; practice a few times with a given wind setting, and watch the speeds where your aircraft starts to veer off to the side in a crosswind; when taking off next time, keep your finger on the rudder and start to gently apply it as you’re approaching the speed where the wind takes effect. I found that keeping auto-coordination off (that is, when you tilt your device it only affects the ailerons and not the rudder) is helpful in getting good rudder control.

When flying, if the winds are heavy, the C172 is definitely going to feel it a lot more though

1 Like

I’m sure @Mark_Denton can give some tips.

When you have higher winds, try landing without flaps. Also, touchdown with the main gear and the wing a little down Into the wind and opposite rudder. For example, if you are landing on Runway 18, and winds are 25010KT, then you would crab the plane on approach, then before touchdown, you would use left rudder to line the nose of the plane down the runway, then lower the right wing a little into the wind, and as you flare, touchdown on the right main gear first, then left main gear, still using rudder pressure to keep nose aligned with centerline, then set the nose gear down. Also, once the main gear touches, turn the yoke into the wind (in this case to the right) as if you are making a right turn. This is done to utilize the ailerons to keep the wing down as the right aileron would lift up, the left airleron would go down and the aileron is deflecting the wind to keep the plane level on the runway. Of course as the airspeed is depleted and there is less lift, then you can start reducing the rudder and aileron as they will start to have less effect.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

@Mark_Denton… From one 172/D driver to another “Well Said”! Look to UTude for great 172 cross wind landing/take off tips. Keep that wing into the wind down! Max Sends

1 Like

Thank you sir!

1 Like

I’ve been watching a lot of Flying Chop’s videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPOMdL9KIwcFMG9Bxppk4Mw

I’ve been told I can start paying for flight lessons once we’ve moved house. Straight from one huge expense to another!!

1 Like