Cessna 152 Emergency Lands in Portuguese Beach kills at least 2 people.

You still risk other people’s lives if you land on a highway

4 Likes

We can all armchair pilot until we’re blue in the face, hindsight is 20/20. RIP to the two deceased and I hope the best for the survivors that have to live with the guilt of a tragedy.

10 Likes

I don’t really like the people that were angry at the pilot when he landed. He had to, poor people who don’t understand

6 Likes

I think you should really reconsidered what you are saying the pilot could have landed on water like the US airways flight did.

3 Likes

And if your daughter was just killed i dont think you would care about anything tbh

5 Likes

But the pilot said himself that he didn’t have enough time

3 Likes

hm so he didnt have time to land right beside the place he landed… because the sand is right beside the sea you know

2 Likes

Obviously, but in those few moments there isn’t much room to think

Also, weren’t there people also in the water?

4 Likes

well yes but surely less people in the sea than in the sand. Most people were outside of the water at that time.

2 Likes

You say less people. That still means a chance of death

5 Likes

Well yes but the probability was much lower.

2 Likes

But it was still there…

4 Likes

It was still the pilot error since he landed on the wrong beach he reported to so clearly people have the right to be mad at him.

2 Likes

No it does not require reconsideration because the point of that quote is you can’t change what happened. We can speculate this that and the other all day. Maybe people would have been killed swimming, maybe not. None of it matters now. The pilot is going to face consequences for the event regardless. Heaven forbid that you ever be involved in a situation where the random public begin condemning you for an unfortunate and tragic situation like this.

7 Likes

I honestly am on both sides Right now, if I watched my daughter die like that I would blame the pilot, but that’s because I am going crazy because I lost something I loved dearly and any father would feel or do the same.
But I think the pilot should have tried to land in the water and swim to shore but the pilot was making a split second decision so he had landed on the beach but I don’t think his/her intentions were to kill anyone.

5 Likes

Definitely an extremely sad accident to occur on this beach. Praying for the victims and their families. :(

5 Likes

As i told you before the error was clearly of the pilot because he landed on the wrong beach. He was supposed to land in other beach that didnt have people.

2 Likes

I think the pilot should take the full blame because he issued a mayday in ATC saying that he was going to land in a deserted beach but he instead landed on another beach which unfortunately was crowded.

3 Likes

Dunno if safer to land just in the water or on the beach. Landing on the beach you run the risk of hitting people and in the water you still have that risk and also the fact it’s kinda impossible to ditch a plane. Do think the pilot should’ve tried for far open water, yes he runs the almost certain chance of tearing up, but others won’t be injured.

I’m also curious how he managed to land at the wrong beach. You should be able to see that one has people and the other has nearly none…

2 Likes

MaxSez: Report of official record

Date: 02-AUG-2017
Time: 16:51 LT
Type: Silhouette image of generic C152 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Cessna 152
Owner/operator: Aero Club de Torres Vedras (ACTV)/G Air
C/n / msn: 15283295
Fatalities: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities: 2
Airplane damage: Substantial
Phase: En route
Nature: Private
Departure airport: Torres Vedras
Destination airport: Torres Vedras
Narrative:
The Cessna 152 performed a forced landing on a beach of São João da Caparica. The flight was a training flight with two persons, the instructor pilot and the student pilot.
The aircraft hit sunbathers on the beach, killing a man (56 years) and a girl (8 years).
Sources:

http://news.sky.com/story/planes-beach-landing-kills-lisbon-sunbathers-10971123. (AvSafeNet)

4 Likes