Certified flying aircraft technician (cfat)

Today my son came up with a new job idea for the airlines. It is FAA certified maintenance technicians that are given flying permissions in certain circumstances.

Maintenance and Repositioning flights

Have at least 250 flight hours
First class medical certificate
All type certifications
No passengers

Tier one passenger

Must be paired with a captain with at least 3000 flight hours and two years on type
May work checklists and handle radios
May not manipulate flight controls
Have at least 400 flight hours

Tier two passengers

Have at least 700 flight hours
May manipulate flight controls/ fly above 10,000 feet.
May serve as pilot in command
Must have a college degree, preferably in an aviation field

Tier three passenger

A regular pilot that holds an FAA maintenance certification

Pros:

1. This allows a sort of pipeline for new pilots that are interested in both flying and being in maintenance.
  2. This would help solve the pilot shortage. More flights depart on time. Passengers are happier and the airlines no longer have to cancel flights due to no crew.
  3. If a technical problem arises during the flight, hey are able to diagnose it instead of having to contact someone on the ground first.
  • This is a good idea
  • This is a bad idea
0 voters
2 Likes

Sir, this is a Wendy’s

Summary

Cool idea though, nice thought from your son

8 Likes

Cool idea but I think it’s just a flight engineer

2 Likes

Just curious if anyone knows the reg: if an airliner needed to be ferried in the US, would that be considered a part 121 operation? If not, then couldn’t a commercial pilot with a type rating and only 250 hours aready do this? I don’t think a new FAA certification would be needed - it already exists.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.