Centre Max emitter range

I was flying yesterday on the Expert server from Tokyo to Atlanta, but when I was crossing Minneapolis FIR I contacted Minneapolis centre.
On the top left side of the ATC tab there is a text saying 270NM Max Emitter Range which I don’t know what it means.

Can someone explain it please?

Thanks

1 Like

270nm is farthest Center can contact a plane from the airport they’re based at.

4 Likes

Hey,

This refers to the 270nm maximum range a pilot can contact Centre from. However, their boundaries may be smaller than this as they are cookie cutter-based not radius-based like Approach/Departure.

Thanks,
Patrick

Edit: @ThomasThePro got there first!

3 Likes

One more question!

When I am crossing an active FIR and contact centre, do I only request for a flight following and then ask for frequency change when leaving the airspace?

Hey,

If following a flight plan, just click “Check in.” If flying VFR, click “Request flight following.”

You shouldn’t need to request frequency change as Centre will themselves hand you off.

Thanks,
Patrick

1 Like

and in addition to @ThomasThePro and @patrickv’s response, in the latest hotifx pushed out earlier today, the Center MAX Emitter Range was increased from 277nm to 400-430nm (depends on different factors from what I can tell). This should allow controllers to better contact pilots throughout their full airspace!

2 Likes

Ayyy its me, thanks for flying through.

2 Likes

One thing I thought I may add is that if you check in, there is no need to request flight following. If the controller responds with radar contact, that means you may continue on your FPL.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.