Center and approach

Hello,
If I am descending to JFK from the north, I am currently in contact with Boston Center. The Boston center radius extends pretty close to JFK, how can I contact JFK approach instead of Boston center for radar vectors because my flight plan isn’t taking me to the right runway

2 Likes

Boston center will hand you off to approach when you are passing FL180. While Center has a cookie-cutter type boundary, approach airspace still extends in a radius from their airport they are controlling.

4 Likes

Ok, thanks

@Aceorbit I am below 18000 and Boston center hasn’t told me to change frequency

1 Like

It may be you are still outside of approaches airspace which is 50nm laterally and 18000ft verticality. If this is on the expert server approach is likely waiting till you are within 50nm of JFK. If this on the training server then controllers are learning and maybe don’t fully understand airspace and the boundaries yet so bare with them while they learn.

1 Like

@Matt This is on the ES, and the center controller made me turn at 090 and hasn’t told me anything since. This was 6 min ago

The controller made me turn away from JFK

Probably because it’s busy

1 Like

Hey,

The controller will be aware of your flight plan’s destination. Any turn away from your flight plan is intentional and is to ensure smooth service for everyone going into New York today.

The controllers of bordering Centre frequencies and Approach/Departure controllers are in constant communication. They’ll be working out a plan to ensure things go well for everyone!

If after the session you’re unsure about why a controller did something, we’re always happy to field questions in our PMs about our procedural choices. Maybe message them if the master plan doesn’t come into view by the time you land, but I’m sure things will be clear once you arrive.

Thanks,
Patrick

4 Likes

What’s your callsign? Just wanna check you out on liveflight

Japan air 6

I asked the center controller for the Flight following, yet he still gave me vectors??

Hey,

Radar controllers may vector you away from your flight plan or VFR if it’s for traffic control or conflict resolution.

Thanks,
Patrick

1 Like

Since JFK app/dep is currently not open, Boston Center may be electing to keep traffic on their frequency and act as an initial approach frequency for the JFK airspace. Unfortunately I’m unable to provide direct insight as I’m not controlling right now, but you can contact the controller @Tajay for additional information.

1 Like

Flight following is for VFR flights only, if you’re flying IFR you shouldn’t be requesting flight following

Also, no matter what services you have requested, that doesn’t exclude you from being vectored and having to comply with those vectors. ATC’s job is to manage the airspace, so when it’s busy vectors are going to be necessary.

2 Likes

he is on expert server so you cannot see him as Liveflight is for TS

Live flight can display all servers

how though

There is an option to see the CS pilots TS pilots and ES pilots

Not true - LiveFlight is available for all servers.

1 Like

how do you change?