Cayman Airways 737-300 diverts to MCO

Cayman Airways flight KX792, to New York diverted to Orlando Sunday September 8, 2019. The aircraft was passing over the South Florida area when the pilots received a warning of smoke in the forward cargo hold. The indication would later prove to be a malfunction of a warning light. The pilots made the decision to declare emergency and land at MCO. They also decided that an evacuation would occur after the aircraft had landed due to the nature of the emergency. All 102 passengers and 5 crew made it off the aircraft safely. The aircraft was a 26.7 year old 737-300 registered VP-CAY.

Here is a quote from Cayman Airways CEO Fabian Whorms

“We are extremely mindful that this emergency landing and evacuation was a very distressing event, on behalf of Cayman Airways, I offer a most sincere apology to our passengers for having to experience this emergency landing and evacuation, which was necessary in the interest of safety of our passengers and crew.”

Post Evacuation Video via BreakingAvNews onTwitter

Flightradar24

This event could seriously affect the Cayman Airways operations as the are currently already down to 3 of 4 of what the fleet should be. They have two MAX 8 aircraft should be operating currently, but are grounded. One of the three 737-300 aircraft was supposed to be retired a couple of months ago, but was kept on due to the groundings. Cayman Airways is currently looking at wet leasing another 737 to cover demand as we approach the high season for tourism in the Cayman Islands.

Edit: This is the first somewhat major incident Cayman Airways has had in awhile. A leased KX 737-800 lost an engine and had to divert to GCM in 2017, but there was no evacuation. The last major incident they had was during the 1990s where they overran the runway at Owen Roberts International Airport, no serious injuries.

1 Like

Oh man that really sucks, as it was a malfunction and there was no fire. Thankfully the Pilots did their jobs.

Can the plane be used again after an emergency landing? I’m curious, since I wonder if the Slides total the airplane

1 Like

From what I understand, it should a couple of days until it’s cleared to fly again. New slides have to be installed and the fire indicator has to be fixed.

2 Likes

It would make no sense to total the plane after slide deployment. The slides can be easily put back in place or replaced, and the aircraft can return to service

1 Like

They just fold the slides back up it’s a pain stacking task as they have to remove the slides during a D-check and they check every one of the slides and make sure that they can inflate and afterwards they have to fold them back up.

Usually they fly them to San Jose Costa Rica for D Checks, but I’m assuming they can do one in Orlando.

2 Likes

Well what I’m saying is the slides can be folded up even if they have been used and in this case they could use it but if there was a actual fire aboard the aircraft they might not reuse the slides but in this case nothing really happened that could affect the slides as they weren’t contaminated by smoke or any other substances that could’ve affected the slides entegrity

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.