Cathay Pacific Goes 10-abreast in 777 Economy Cabin

This is bad news. Cathay Pacific had one of the best Y seats in the world, and now this happens. Thankfully retrofitting doesn’t start until 2018 so fly the old Y cabin while you can.

8 Likes

“Just stuff everyone like sardines” is basically what they’re saying.

6 Likes

What did the old y configuration look like

1 Like

I believe it was 3-3-3.

3 Likes

Wow. So it will be 3-4-3 now? They’re cabins were fine, but after this… They just want the money.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s usually how airlines operate. 🙂

4 Likes

It was a spacious 3-3-3 configuration with plenty of space to store your items and very well padded cushions.

1 Like

It’s sad because they had one of the most spacious Y seats in the biz.

1 Like

Ah, Cathay is going the way of everyone else. It is an unfortunate but very necessary decision.

1 Like

Honestly if they kept it the way it is i’d gladly still pay the 10% premium to fly them instead.

Like it or not, it was coming with the 777-9 anyway with 18-inch seat width, but the current 777s are a nightmare in 3-4-3.

1 Like

The seat width plus the service.

Service should be close to the same. It’s a Cathay thing.

But 10% isn’t good enough, you’re probably looking at a unit cost disadvantage of about 25-35% for Cathay. People simply are not willing to pay that consistently. The Hong Kong market is very elastic, you can’t get away with being priced 10% higher, let alone 25-35% higher than the competition.

But they’re retrofitting the current 777s, so we’re still going to run into issues. There is always a chance of Cathay opting for wider aisles as opposed to wider seats on the new 777X, so I won’t say those are safe yet.

Service has been going down anyway, and the food tray is 3/4 the size of what it used to be.

1 Like

No, not more airlines turing into low costs!

Cathay Pacific isn’t going low cost anytime soon. Their prices will still be higher, but the change to 10-abreast will lower it a bit.

1 Like

I think they’ll find that the profit potential will actually worsen with this change. 10% more seats in Y is 10-12% more weight in the back which will require some more front heavy cargo and more fuel used overall.

At best, they’ll wind up right back where they started with only a tarnished reputation to show for it once you account for all associated costs.

17 more seats in long haul aircraft and 35 more in regional aircraft.