Catching the Retros - Rainy End of a 3 Day Spotting Trip | London, June 16, 2019

Once again hello guys!

After already covering two spotting days at 2 1/2 airports, I’ve finally reached the final day of my London Heathrow Spotting trip. After two days with mixed weather, Sunday actually turned out to be the one with the worst weather in the morning while the afternoon (when I was already back in Central London for a great Lunch Breakfast(?)) brought some quite sunny weather. Nevertheless I managed to get some nice pics of the missing BA retro liveries operating at the airport.

As a result of the weather, the number of pics I could take was kinda limited. This offers the chance to show some more common aircraft today. Even though a regular visitor at Heathrow, American’s 777 was on my to-do-list prior to the weekend since Munich only gets their 330 and 787.

While the 777 managed to arrive in a sunny spot, another aircraft I’ve been waiting for arrived in dull light and even rain. Well, in the end that’s probably the weather that fits a British Aircraft such as BA’s Negus livery worn by G-CIVB.

While this 747 is approaching the end of her career - the aircraft will retire in these colors rather soon-ish - another regular Heathrow guest has just entered the BA fleet replacing the Boeing 767 - British Airways’ Airbus A321neo.

While the BA retro fleet is widely known, not many people might no that the airline is still flying another special livery on a 777. G-YMML is promoting the GREAT festival of creativity in Shanghai.

While we’re at British Airways, why not complete the long haul twin engine fleet with the airline’s 787? What’s your favorite BA aircraft?

Let’s get more international again though: While this aircraft has been flying to Munich regularly during the last summer, I never managed to spot it before - Icelandair’s Boeing 767 inbound from Keflavik.

You probably remember me talking about many airlines bringing widebodies from mainland Europe. One more of those arrived on Saturday. Fitting the grey of the clouds perfectly, Aeroflot’s A330 approached runway 27R.

Another wide-body, but flying a significantly longer route, is this aircraft I hadn’t spotted before. Air India’s Boeing 777 connecting England and its former Colony in Asia.

Coincidence? While on saturday, this flight arrived under dark clouds with an even darker (special) livery, the Sunday flight caught a gap in the clouds in the regular colors. I have to admit, I really love the style of Air New Zealand’s liveries.

Now let’s finally get to my personal highlight of the weekend. While I actually caught it together with some fellow community members on Saturday in horrible light, I was still looking forward to the arrival of this beauty. With sun and clouds essentially changing constantly during the minutes prior its landing, I got kinda nervous while hoping for a lucky shot of the plane in the sun. And what should I say - the Queen of the Skies made its special appearance right when the sun was about to disappear again and made for a fantastic photo. In my opinion the “Landor” livery is extremely stylish and probably the most beautiful retro livery flying in the skies.
G-BNLY_2

Lucky about this final catch, I could finally leave the airport for the city center again. I hope you enjoyed the pictures from this weekend as much as I did (actually, sorting and editing 1100 images was kinda painful in the first place)! If you haven’t seen the other topics already, make sure to pay them a visit through the links provided below. Also, more pics from Heathrow will soon be available on my social media accounts.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

My spotting topics on the IFC

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end
Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
Spotting During the IF Heathrow Meetup

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes

53 Likes

Well, I won’t quote the pictures this time, but I will say that as always, your photos are spectacular! I always enjoy seeing your spotting topics. Good work my friend ;)

2 Likes

Now that leaves me sad. I was already looking forward to having an entire post quoted in the comments 🥺

2 Likes

Oh I can quote the entire topic if you want 😏

2 Likes

Oh yeah, quote them like one of your french girls 😂

3 Likes

Amazing photos as usual! Love being able to see your work! Love the American 777 btw, it’s stunning!

1 Like

Hot <3

Gorgeous <3

😍

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

I feel like I just caught a glimpse of Heaven, no, it’s just another one of @Moritz’s spotting topics…But isn’t it the same thing? 😜 😍

3 Likes

Typical London weather smh…but no matter. These shots are great!

1 Like

Oh yeah, Sunday morning was horrible. While there was only some drizzle the day before I got into quite some heavy shower on Sunday 🙄 thanks though 😉

1 Like

Well, it’s at least a glimpse of sky 😉 guess I’m biased when we talk about being haven or not 😉

1 Like

You love them till you see them half a million times a day then you wish for something different

1 Like

It had coffee so it was breakfast despite the time :p thanks for joining us and awesome pics!

1 Like

That 787 (G-ZBJJ) flew to Pittsburgh that day, that wouldn’t happen to be that flight coming in would it?

1 Like

Haha yeah, I’ve got a similar attitude towards Lufthansa’s planes 😂 surprising how some people can still be interested in them 🤔

I remember I spotted a Pittsburgh flight, likely it was that plane when you say it has been to PIT that day 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 Like

You’re lucky you get variety. In Wellington we get
A320, Cessna 208, Q300, 737, 1x 777-200LR that’s it nothing else maybe the occasional C130 or life flight plane. Pretty boring.

1 Like

Ouch, that sounds rather boring for plane spotting in the long term 👀

1 Like

Beautiful pictures man! We get the Great Festival of Creativity all the time in Houston.

1 Like

1 Like

Does nighttime count as better light?