I’m no veteran. I have been in the IFC since November 18, and I’ve loved it ever since. Unfortunately, every new update posts a very new challenge for players. In the quite underwhelming update, with the a330 rework and live replays came another problem: Gate Restrictions.
The issue is not how they work nor is it why they were implemented. They were implemented for a specific reason that I comepletely understand. The unfortunate part is that this update applies to the casual server.
Emphasis on casual. I played on casual to test out new planes, mess around with my friends, practice landing, and more. Currently, the gate restriction creates a stiff, stale, expert mindset for the players that are new to the game, that in no way is welcoming or fun. Imagine someone wants to try out their favorite plane- a 747, but a gate restriction has them park in the international terminal, quite a bit away from the runway.
This causes the following to happen.
- Chaos - doesn’t know what a pushback is, ends up taxiing at high speeds, eventually crashes.
- Boring and Deturring - when you jump into live, the first thing you want to do is jump right onto that runway and takeoff, then land. Not only does the gate restriction prohibit new players from doing this, it takes them away from the core of the game.
- Casual means Casual - if you’re looking for a realistic experience, go to Expert. Simple enough.
- This in no way is a learning opportunity - people can argue that it is good to learn these things before going into TS1 in order to be better prepared. This is not the case. Learning to properly taxi, takeoff, and land is what casual should teach you. Training should teach you the nit-picking-esque things, such as gate restrictions, taxi regulations, flight plans, and basic ATC.
- Please, give me an example of a person who wanted this - the addition that you can’t park at a gate that somebody is near is great, and should be server wide, but the size restriction is something that nobody asked for.
I am suggesting that we do the following, instead.
- Casual has absolutely NO gate restrictions.
I understand where the IF devs are coming from, but it’s not from the community, or from a fun notion.
IF, please fix.
Feel free to respectfully and maturely have a discussion with me if you agree/disagree with any of my points. I’d be happy to talk to you about it and further discuss the update.