Caribbean Airlines 737 spends 2 1/2 hours circling east of JFK

Anyone know why the heck they did this?? They took off from JFK’s runway 22R around 1:40 AM, headed south for Georgetown Guyana, and then off the coast of southern NJ it made a turn back north headed for JFK. You’d think it would be a diversion due to medical reasons or not enough fuel, but instead it headed NE towards Long Island, and flew over from South to North. After that, it turned west and headed down the Long Island Sound a little bit, before turning south again. The time was around 2:30 AM. And from there, it proceeded to spend 2 1/2 hours circling above western Suffolk County, and around 5:30 it finally landed back on runway 13L at JFK. Anyone know why it spent so long circling like that? That must’ve been pretty boring for the passengers onboard.
Use the slider below the map to re-play the flight history.

9 Likes

Unclear commands from ATC, I’m guessing.

1 Like

very odd…
maybe instrument malfunction?

1 Like

Maybe because of fuel dumping. By the way i live under the canarsie approach and planes can’t land at certain times after hrs so they probably had to wait a while to land. In order to avoid the noise disruption. Airlines pay fee’s if they fly during a no fly time at time.

1 Like

That could be a possibility. Western and central Suffolk County (where the plane was circling over) is mainly suburbs/large towns, but at the same time the plane was high up enough to likely not cause a disruption.

2 Likes

after looking at it i think it might have just been a test flight. why the circled so long, i dont know. maybe there was a big line of planes on approach.

#1. It’s not a test flight, you could see on other flights history its a regularly scheduled passenger flight.
#2. There aren’t that many planes going into JFK between 1-6 AM, usually only 2-5 per hour.

1 Like

hmmm. this is very odd. ill do some research!

2 Likes

cant find anything. obviously it couldn’t have been something too bad, as its not on the news or anything.

1 Like

its possible that a medical emergency was onboard, and that they couldnt descend or something like that. its very weird

1 Like

The 737 does not have fuel dumping capability IIRC, so they were burning off fuel to get under MLW to land back at JFK for some sort of emergency. I think a TK A330 too off from IST a week or two ago, had a medical emergency and had to circle for 7 hours to burn off the fuel needed to get under MLW since TK opted to not install a fuel dumping system.

3 Likes

I just hope that they compensated the passengers for that long of a delay, or at least a food voucher. That must suck though, having a medical emergency and waiting 7 hours for professional treatment!

Wow does TK really use A330’s with no fuel burn capabilities for such long haul flights. Thats pretty weird. 7hrs is alot of time.

1 Like

Chemtrails confirmed?

Just a diversion I think

could be a crew training flight

7 hours for a medical emergency, are you sure? The passenger could have died and made a full recovery in that length of time

4 Likes

I’m sure the landing wasn’t urgent enough to warrant an immediate landing. A330s can land above MLW in a pinch, but it would mean paperwork, maintenance checks, and potential part replacement. If the patient was stabilized and can wait for a couple of hours, they would much rather circle and wait than go through all the hassle of an overweight landing. Keep in mind that the aircraft was circling near the airport, so they can divert and be on the ground within 30 minutes after an overweight landing if things go south for the patient.

4 Likes

True, if this one was a medical emergency it probably wasn’t that urgent, as it was circling just west of KISP (which can handle up to a 767). If it was urgent it likely would have diverted there or FRG, a somewhat smaller GA/private jet airport in Nassau County.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.