Career in ATC

I posted something similar to this a few weeks ago but after thinking about it for a while I have become pretty certain I want to study ATC. That being said I would love to know about how to do that. If anyone has experiences with schools in eastern United States I would love recommendations. If anyone knows if part of it’s possible to do online that would also be great. Pretty much tell me anything and everything you can about starting this career. Thank you

Don’t know much besides you have to be in by 32 or you have no shot at an ATC position. Killed my dreams a while ago when i found that. I believe it has something to do with being able to retire after 20 years of service and cannot be older than 52 working ATC. Someone may be able to correct me or have more details for you.

1 Like

I would highly recommend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, they have many aviation programs and ATC training. Furthermore, it is an environment where all the students are passionate about aviation. I have many friends that attended this school and they loved it.

3 Likes

Hey there @Tyler_Barley! Right now I’m actually going to Embry-Riddle studying Air traffic control. If you have any questions feel free to message me and I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. (:

3 Likes

Yeah, I believe it’s 56 now though. (:

1 Like

I am 34, so i may have another chance? I thought just a couple months back you had to be in by 32. That may give me hope. lol

I’m not sure, the FAA likes to be really unclear about pretty much everything that they do, so you’d have to ask them 😂

1 Like

You could also ask Tyler_Shelton if you have more specific questions, he’s a real world ATC.
Now bare in mind, lots of questions can be answered with simple google searches, but maybe shoot him a PM if you have more specific questions, that are harder to get a clear answer with using the internet.

2 Likes

Well I go to Purdue for professional flight (which is in the Midwest) but them and Ohio State have ATC programs I believe

2 Likes

Middle Tennessee State University has an ATC program, it’s just worded very awkwardly. You have to maintain above a C or you don’t pass the class. At least, that’s how it was when I looked at it last

Purdue’s ATC program is through the Aviation Management plan of study. While the CTI program has been a thing in the past, the professor who teaches it will no longer continue lecturing.

Thought it was 56? Have a family friend that worked ATC.

Technically, you don’t have to go to school to be an air traffic controller in the US. The FAA opens two separate pools, usually once or twice a year. The first pool is for people “off the street”, who have no prior experience in ATC. The second pool is for people who have attended a CTI school, like Embry-Riddle (where I go) and have the CTI certification, which allows you to bypass some training stages. Once you jump through all the FAA’s hoops and get hired, training (regardless of which pool you’re in) is in Oklahoma City. I’m a junior in the ATC program at Riddle, if you have any questions feel free to reach out.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.