Come along to do some patterns

2 Likes

@CaptainDixon Is it open?

yes @CrisY

1 Like

Coming now

Awesome!!!

1 Like

im closing in 5 mins @CrisY so you can come nd get 1 pattern in?

1 Like

Are you closed?

Yes but will be open in 30 mins again @Gm2kmike20

Hello, I was Air Force 857. Good job! You’re controlling was good, but here are a few tips and comments for future reference:

1. Transition are field elevation (rounded to the nearest thousand) + 1000 (pattern altitude) + 1500. In the case of KSSC, my transition altitude of 3500ft was too high. Instead, it should have been 2500ft and here’s why: 0 (242ft field elevation rounded to nearest thousand) + 1000 + 1500 = 2500. When it came time for me to land, I was a little too high upon descent.

2. You handled the runway change very well! I wanted to see what you could do and you did very well. When runway changes occur, always give a pattern entry, sequence (if applicable), then clearance. You did just this great work!

3. You cleared me a too early on my 2nd pattern. You cleared me directly after rotating while I was still over the field, try to wait until I’m on downwind or base next time. This way, you’ll know who to sequence first.

4. Good job letting the F16 sequence ahead of me! I like how you kept aircraft characteristics in mind. In the future, though, try to sequence sooner and give commands such as “maintain slowest practical speed”, “I’ll call your base”, “extend upwind”, “turn base”, etc. to widen the gap between arrivals. Something that could have worked in this instance is if you could have said “extend upwind” to me and said “turn base” to the F16. All in all, great job.

5. Finally exit instructions. Although you gave them, try to give them sooner. It is advised to give exit instructions when an aircraft is below 70kts ground speed after landing. An appropriate exit instruction would have been “exit to your right, please expedite traffic on final, contact ground of the taxiway”. Sometimes controllers aren’t able to give exit instructions due to high traffic, alternatively, you can say “contact ground on _____”.

You did good! I hope these tips and comments helped. If you are planning on applying for IFATC, I wish you the best of luck. If you ever have any questions about controlling or anything aviation related, my PM is always open :)

Regarding the transition, shouldn’t it be 2500 to 5000 regarding the controllers discretion? Or am I mistaken

1 Like

“A transition must be given within the towers airspace”
~sourced from the ATC manual.
You would usually clear at 2500, very rarely would you clear above that and should definitely be avoided as much as possible as it’s unnecessary to clear above that, unless you see some traffic that are higher up and a potential conflict.

That’s a bit vague. It depends very heavily on which aircraft that is. Usually 70 in an airliner would be fine, but some GA aircraft’s final approach speed would be 70. Give them the exit command when the aircraft is at a safe and controlled speed.

Generally, this should be avoided if possible with aircraft in the pattern as they already received sequencing so it is their responsibility to keep the spacing. Only use it if absolutely necessary. The other pattern instructions you listed should be used as much as possible instead of speed instructions to maintain spacing.

You should never clear on base. Ideally you should clear on crosswind or very early downwind, but base is too late.

2 Likes