Captain buys pizza for diverted passengers

Well, doesn’t this just warm your heart?!

Story:

American Airlines flight 2354 traveling from Los Angeles to Dallas FT. Worth had to divert to Witchita Falls, Texas on Thursday due to severe thunderstorms, leaving 159 frustrated passengers stranded. Offering help out of the goodness of his heart, Captain Jeff Raines called the nearest Papa John’s, and ordered 40 pizzas and had them delivered to the airport.

“Thanks for the compliments however this was a “TEAM” effort,” Raines said.

“My First Officer was on the telephone with crew tracking / hotel desk arranging for our release and hotels for the entire crew. The Flight Attendants manned a galley cart from the aircraft serving waters, juice, and sodas to all the passengers in the terminal. All while the Envoy SPS Personnel were arranging for a bus, re-booking flights, and answering a flurry of questions from these passengers. Thanks to everyone for your help - there is no “I” in TEAM.”

Link to Story + Video

This is just remarkable. This has to be one of the best flight crew stories I’ve heard in a while.

38 Likes

Finally a positive story!

11 Likes

Well isn’t that lovely? Definitely a very nice thing to do for the frustrated passengers!

4 Likes

wow AA must have been watching delta order pizza for long delays I guess

Na jk but that captain was a great soul right there,pax should be grateful they had great crew and especially the pilot.You don’t get that all the time,trust me,you can have really crappy crew that don’t even give a crap

5 Likes

This is the only time I’m ok with a diversion.

12 Likes

Wow, what a great soul! AA has to pay at least part of it.

2 Likes

I love it when some pilots just go over the top to make the passengers as entertained/comfortable as possible. I remember once I was flying back to Houston from Denver. The crew of the aircraft had been based in Houston and had been flying around in storms since that morning. When we got on the plane, we had already been delayed to land at 12:15am. The First Officer came on the intercom, said the whole hello/welcome thing. He was straight foreward that traffic was really backed up in Houston so we may be dalayed even more. The absolute best part was when he said “if I turn on the seatbelt sign, put on your seatbelt because I probably know something you don’t.” Turns out we had to sit on the taxiway after landing for 30 mins because there were 0 United gates available to park at. I wasn’t mad tho because the crew were respectful about it, even though they braved through that weather all day. It really makes your day when someone goes out of there way to do something nice even if it’s as small as being calm and courteous in tough situations.

6 Likes

Food is the key to life. Food is the best part of layovers, diversions, and delays ! Food makes everyone happy ;)

4 Likes

I was bored, everyone else was doing something important, and to look busy, I ordered pizza.

1 Like

meanwhile I got delayed 4 hours with Emirates and had a 5€ voucher for one restaurant 😂

4 Likes

What a great captain :)

That Captain is an absolute legend.

He did something good (with aviation really hasn’t had this year) and kept his passengers in a good mood when normally a diverted flight makes the passengers super annoyed

5 Likes

Well i know what airline i’m booking my next flight with is

1 Like

Yep same here after I go to Japan in July im going to fly to the US with American Airlines :)

Finally it’s nice to hear something like this every now and then.

1 Like

That was very nice of the pilot to do!

2 Likes

I’d be so happy I’d walk up to the cockpit to make sure he’s got himself a pizza too 😂

2 Likes

Yeah, there is a reason why my dad swears by American. Whenever we fly on vacation, that is the only airline we fly. We went to Europe this summer, and my dad went so far as to decide against the direct flight to Copenhagen because American didn’t fly that route. Instead, we flew direct to Heathrow, and then got a connecting flight to Copenhagen.

1 Like

Thats mice of him to do that!

I love when people do things like this! It really does put a smile on my face :)

1 Like