Canon EF-S 55-250 2X Teleconverter

Hey y’all. I’ve got an aviation photography question. I’m looking for a 2x teleconverter for my Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens, and found this. Is it worth the money? And will it fit my lens? Thanks for any help y’all can give, it’s greatly appreciated.

Pretty Hot Regards,
Matt

1 Like

Shouldn’t actually this be in #real-world-aviation:spotting? Yeah, I know I’m not so productive with my conversation…

C’mon guys, stop arguing about which category this should be in and answer the question.

Teleconverters do come in handy especially in aviation if you’re not using a large telephoto. But since they are a little pricey, if I were you I would sell your 55-250 and use the money you were planning to use from the converter and purchase a larger and more powerful telephoto lens. The 75-300mm is a good choice and it’s actually the same price as the teleconverter. But to answer your question, the teleconverter you linked will fit your lens if that is the lens you own (55-250 f/4-5.6 IS).

5 Likes

Keep in mind, a 2x teleconverter will not only double your zoom, but also your aperture (now f/8-f/11.2), decreasing low-light preformance as well limiting your depth of field. Like Leipelt said, save the money and invest in new glass, it will be much more valuable in the long run.

2 Likes

I agree with all the above. Save up for new glass. In the long run, you will be much happier with a 100-400 lens then that.

Ok thanks y’all. I’ll save up some money. Maybe the Sigma 100-400 is a good choice?

That’s a very good choice.

Awesome. Well, my question was answered so we’ll have the almighty mods close this one. Thanks everyone!

I think I have the sigma 100-400, my grandpa let me borrow a 88-400 or something but it was really heavy, the sigma is light and sturdy.
Recommended for sure.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.