Can you rent an aircraft long term?

So I’ve had this question that I’m either not asking the right things, or google doesn’t know. Let’s say you want an aircraft to fly (assuming you have all licenses, medicals, can afford it, whatever) for a longer trip, say a cross country one. (Like across the US, or something comparable, a significant distance) You could be away from you’re home airport for a week or more easily depending on how long you stay, so how would that work if you rented an aircraft form a local airport? Could that eaven be done?

1 Like

It likely could be done, the weird thing about this topic is how I was just looking at flight rentals at my local GA airport for no reason! But yes it should be possible, the cost might not be friendly either

1 Like

Yes it can be

1 Like

So you would just pay for all the flight hours on the trip? Or all the hours of the whole trip?

1 Like

You pay for however long it is in the air. So if it’s in the air for say, 3.5 hours, and the price is $100 per hour, you’re paying $350.

At least that’s how they do it here.

2 Likes

Airlines do it via lessors for literally decades sometimes.

2 Likes

And then the airport just sits at you’re destination for a while? Or do they expect you to be coming right back with it?

Our company we charge flight hours. The 44 we own is 800 and our 66 is 1200.

1 Like

Yes, recently the Cessna 172 i rent went down to texas and i have been to texas, mississippi and missouri and am planning a trip to oklahoma soon. As long as everything is up to date and your current there should be no problem renting an aircraft. I know for me if we plan on doing a weekend trip, landing fees and such are your expenses but gas and such is the guy that owns it. we get rembursed for it.

Arrangements depend on the school/flight club. For example, we have a few pricing options. On in of them, you owe us a minimum of four hours a day no matter how much you fly it, if you take it over night. Another option gives the renter the privilege of taking the aircraft and only paying for what they actually flew. Just depends on what people want to spend. But, this offer would vary from school to school

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.