Can We Do A Runup With Active ATC

In real life, pilots of prop planes do a runup prior to every takeoff. They have to put the brakes on and throttle up for a minute. Sometimes there isn’t a specified area to do this prior to takeoff, so pilots do it at the hold short line. Is this ok to do in IF with an ATC active? Would they get mad? Does anyone else do this? I like doing it, as I think it is fun and realistic.

3 Likes

If you coordinate it with ATC first, and there aren’t any planes behind you - I don’t see why not!

1 Like

Don’t do it during FNF or very busy events…

3 Likes

As long as you stand still and don’t move I see no problem.

2 Likes

Sure go for it.

Definitely agree with Nick here, as long as you are still most ATC’s won’t give it thought. Tread carefully though because I have come into contact with some very meticulous ATC’s. But I have done the same thing in the past. It’s weird to know that someone else does this! Haha!

It’s fine. But if they start getting anxious, giving check help pages, etc, then just do what they want and PM them here to discuss.

2 Likes

I did it today just now (IFATC - Bob Smith controlled me) and I sat near the runway and changed my display name to “doing runup”, did my runup, then changed my display name back. He seemed fine with it, as he didn’t rush me or anything. (Got grade four from the touch and gos i did too!)

2 Likes

I personally don’t see a problem with it, so long as it’s not busy. I don’t even see a problem with it after a line up and wait command. Just not when given a immediate take off command

1 Like

As long as you don’t throttle up to 100% lol if not the ATC will be like

#Hey you, hold position!

1 Like

I’m ok with it unless it’s really busy or there’s traffic on final

I will typically run jets up to ~40% N1 prior to take off roll (to add a bit of realism) and have never run into a problem. I wouldn’t recommend running up when a “cleared for immediate take off” command is given. In that case you may have a slight problem.

Normally pilots do runups with props before takeoff clearance and do it with the breaks so they don’t move.

Apparently you need brakes… Without brakes, the ATC will be like

#Hey you, hold position!

XD

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.