Can someone give me tips to not be scared of flying in real life

I have anxiety too man, I love flying so much but it’s hard for me. If I was able to fly 2200 miles across the Pacific Ocean on a small 737, you can do it too!

Some things I think about are: the pilots know what they’re doing, they went through over a month of extensive training. And I distract myself by watching a movie or playing a offline game on my iPad

1 Like

Hey!

I created a topic about turbulences, a very common fear about flying. Check it out and see if some of the replies can help you out :)

About the high altitude fear, think it of this way : Is completely normal because we´re not birds, our body is not designed to fly. During this 118 years of flying evolution, we have created such a beautiful piece of engineering capable of traveling in a safer, faster and cheaper way.

I recommend you to appreciate every single part of the wing, try to figure out how does it work, every single detail can be analyzed. This exercise can help you to trust more in the plane and losing your fear. Also, watch down and see where are you, if is a city, a famous place or just a massive field. if you are extremely nervous, you can try to listen some relaxing music or drinking alcohol (if you have the age to do so). However i don’t recommend the last thing, just in a very stressful situation.

1 Like

I will take a look at it. Thanks :)

I also used to be very afraid of flying. However as I learnt more about aviation and all the mechanics behind what goes into building these aircraft and making them as safe as possible it really helped me. So maybe trying to learn as much as you can about the mechanics in aviation will help!

Some other useful tips I used when I was afraid of flying was to close my eyes during takeoff,(takeoff was when I was most scared) don’t look down out the windows (I was also afraid of heights at the time) and finally I would try and sleep as much as you can, you can’t be scared of a plane if you’re asleep!

1 Like

I like to imagine I’m on a roller coaster when there is turbulence or look out the window and watch the wing bounce up and down cus it looks cool but usually people try not to do this stuff but it helps me:)

2 Likes

If you have a fear of crashing…My suggestion would be to read the safety card a few times during boarding, and pay attention to the crew during the safety demonstration. That way, you’ll know what to do in an emergency if that ever happens, which is an extremely low possibility. Try brining items to help distract you from anything that makes you nervous. And remember that there is a whole army of people guaranteeing you make it safely to your destination. Whether that be on the ground or in the air. :)

1. I don’t know if this will make you more scared or not but maybe have headphones handy.

If it’s an international flight or with a delta one type suite with a seat that converts into a bed, get your headphones, connect them to your phone and listen to your favourite music. (If you can, get noise cancelling headphones. Plane cabins are quiet and so are the engines but noise cancelling headphones make it overall a better experience.)

1. Play games. If you can play games on your phone or on the monitor on the seat (If the aircraft has it). Unstresses you.

2. Fall asleep. Sleeping makes you calm and well rested which may or may not help with jet lag, and depending on how long you’ll sleep the less of a flight you’ll get to experience but if you’ll stress about stuff for a shorter period of time.

-Max

1 Like

I took my first flying lesson last week and I was freaked out before I got in the plane, then I got in the seat the instructor went over everything and that was the safest I have ever felt flying even though it was a 50 year old plane.

Simplified, you are gonna be super safe

2 Likes

I did too, picture of my pfp is one of the pictures I took of me flying.

1 Like

Always pack a parachute 👍

2 Likes

Just do it honestly. Before I flew for the first time I was afraid. But man, when you takeoff and get up in the air, you will not be scared at all. It is a great great experience.

1 Like

Same, but I was in a 2006 Cessna 172 G1000. I was scared until the engine started and I felt the plane rise up from the power and I was like, oh… this is nothing!

1 Like

This might help:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.