Can small regional airlines land on rough runways?

My question here is if small jetliners like the CRJ, Dahs-8 and ERJ series can land in rough surfaces? My difenicion of rough surfaces is dirt, graveI, snow and grass. am not sure at all, although I would think at least the Dash-8 would be able to. What does everyone think about this?

• The aircraft listed above can land in rough surfaces
  • The aircraft listed above can not land in rough surfaces

0 voters

1 Like

It depends on the aircraft. The main problem with most jet airliners is that the engines are placed close to the ground. If the field is not paved, this increases the risk of damage to the engines from ingesting FOD (foreign object debris).

4 Likes

So the ERJ would probably fail but the CRJ and Dash-8 would make it due to higher engines. What do other people think?

I think the Dash-8 is the only plane that can becaise ERJ has engines colse to the ground, CRJ has a very low fuselage.
And I have seen Dash-8 Q300 land on dirt before!

4 Likes

Think of the dash 8 as a clean C130. Lol. I bet it could do unimproved runways. You would just need a crew that knows how to operate on them

The ERJ’s engines are just as high as the CRJs, tail mounted, am I missing something?

yes and no, The tail mounted ones are the 145 etc. The 170 or 175 like in Infinite flight are on the wings

1 Like

I dont think so… the only jet i know that can land on unpaved runways is the 737 with gravel kit installed

The 737-200 had a GK (Gravel Kit) to make landing on remote runways in the middle of Alaska or something easy. This had a special modification to the engine inlet to block out gravel and modifications to the landing gears to ensure they don’t break. I assume if these same mods are made to the ERJ at least, and the CRJ too for the gravel blockers on the engine and if gear modification were made to all the aircraft I think it would be quite possible.

2 Likes

If aircraft are configured for it they can. Along with @Panther lower engine aircraft can’t with the regular configuration but they are able to with being configured for it. Most also need strengthened wheels.

1 Like

It all comes down to the skill of the pilot. every aircraft is designed in all perfect way to handle stuff we cant imagine. but its the skill of pilot who has the ultimate control. For eg. B737 is known for its low base design. but then who can forget the heroic efforts of Taca airlines 110 at the Orleans. :)

2 Likes

I mean the ERJ 170-195

Lliving in Alaska I’ve seen the Dash 8 on gravel runways, same as the Saab 340 so it is possible for s regional jet to land on gravel

2 Likes

No matter how much skill a pilot has if they land on a gravel runway it can damage the aircraft. They have modifications designed for this stuff for a reason

1 Like

Don’t forget about the C130;)

Isnt a matter of their operational abilities but whether they are built to land on runways of such. These aircraft are built to land on asphalt or concrete runways. Not dirt, grass, or gravel. Doing such would damage the aircraft. Ice and snow are a little different as those are weather related phenomena that can happen on concrete and asphalt runways in the correct conditions. However, safe operations requires a cap on the amount that the aircraft can experience.

Some commercial aircraft are, in fact, able to land on ice runways, such as the 757 at airports in the Antarctic, yet this is a rare occurrence. Mainly due to the low wings. As you can tell, most military aircraft have a high wing base, which provide a larger distance between the ground and the wing structure, thus lowering damage rates to the wing in poor field conditions. That is why military aircraft are able to land at poorly maintained or built facilities. Commercial aircraft are not built for that purpose, and thus are more likely to be damaged by poorly maintained facilities.

1 Like

Many define landing, if you mean on yhe ground likely in one piece, sure! If you mean in good condition likely not, esspecialy the Turbo Fan ones, they arnt built to suck in all sorts of gravel…

1 Like

Oh and dont forget c-17 as well…

1 Like

There are several aircraft that can do this:

• Hawker-Siddeley 748
  • ATR 42
  • Dash 8

I’m sure there are more.

I’ll make it a wiki so regulars can add more if they want to.

3 Likes

Why worry about damaging landing gear when you can hover?

2 Likes