Camera suggestions for plane spotting?

Hey all,

I’m currently looking for some camera suggestions that can take good plane spotting images. If it can be under $150, that’d be great. Thank you!

4 Likes

James Webb telescope

Might be a bit out of your budget, though

12 Likes

You’re pretty much not gonna find a modern day very high quality camera for under 150 USD. I have a Nikon D3500 (which isn’t even top notch), and for a new one, it cost 600-700 USD. Do you care whether or not it’s very high quality or do you just wanna do this for fun and not rly care too much about the quality?

2 Likes

Personally I’d want some quality that can at least zoom and isn’t blurry. I don’t really care about other stuff on it.

1 Like

When it comes to zoom, that’s when you wanna get lenses. Do you have a camera currently?

1 Like

I don’t have a camera currently.

1 Like

Okay. I think for now just look into camera that are most affordable to you like some older Nikon models, and try and save up for those as a start. They will have decent quality, but obviously not the best you can ever get. If you want to be able to zoom in a lot, search for a lens that is meant for that model, and that will help you be able to zoom and get good quality as well.

1 Like

What’s the cheapest brand that may have some good prices?

1 Like

I am no expert in this matter, but normally you will need a camera and lens. Getting both for sub-$150 will be very difficult if not impossible.

1 Like

Well I could bring my budget up to $300 max if that’s the case.

1 Like

There are some older Sony’s that cost around 200 USD. One at Target is called a Sony DSCH300/B for 200

2 Likes

You are now 150$ closer to be able to buy the James Webb telescope

3 Likes

The best thing to do here is to go for used equipment. I’d also look into older models, as cameras have quite a long lifespan.

1 Like

I’ll take a look at that. Thank you so much!!

2 Likes

Just what MxP said. Used can be a good option at time. If I got my camera and lens as used, it would be about 800 USD, but new (which I did get) was about 1300 USD.

1 Like

Okay. Thanks a lot! I’ll take a look at all of these.

2 Likes

This can be closed :)

1 Like

You’re not really gonna find a “good” one for under $150. Probably 350-400 minimum in this market

4 Likes

Canon EOS 2000D DSLR (My Current)

Comes with a 18-55 so you’ll have to buy a lens. Sigma and Tamron are good. A 18-300mm or the Tamron 18-400 is a good all-round lens.

Next is the 7D mark ii, all you’ll ever need!

2 Likes

I got my Canon SL1 for $180. I just waited for the right one and when it came, I got it. If you want one tomorrow, you may have to just spend the money, but if you have some time, just search around.

2 Likes