Camera settings for videography

Good afternoon IFC! I know there are plenty of avid spotters among us, so I figured some of you might be able to help.
I recently got into plane spotting with the introduction of my first camera. You can check out my current videos here: https://m.youtube.com/@PineTreeAviation

Anyway, I’ve been noticing that my camera jumps around a lot and is very shaky. I’m working on getting a tripod, but do you guys have any advice on VIDEO settings or tips/tricks I can use?

Secondly, does shutter speed and aperture matter for film shooting or is that for photography only?

Lastly, does frame rate improve the overall quality of the video, and if so, would it be smoother?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds and have a wonderful day!

5 Likes

Hello there!

I’ve been here for a while and quite like spotting so I’ll attempt to answer your questions (although filming is not my main activity)

In terms of settings, you can check if your camera offers image stabilization (either in settings or a physical switch on the camera). This would help reduce vibrations (but may make the frame a bit smaller FYI).
As for physical techniques, I personally have 2 ways of taking videos. Either I hold the camera against my chest or face and hold my breath to limit vibrations (obviously only works for short videos) or I rest the camera on a cloth (on a smooth surface preferably). By putting the camera on a cloth on, say, a car roof, for example, you can keep filming smooth video as cloth doesn’t move on its own. You can also maintain a constant camera heading by folding or changing the position of the cloth. Finally, to pan, you can simply take a corner of the cloth and pull it left or right to keep the camera panning horizontally!

In video, shutter speed is how long each frame is exposed and aperture is how open the lens is. A longer shutter speed will usually create crisper but brighter images (but also blurrier frames if you are in movement). Aperture will change the depth of field and the brightness (and graininess) as you are basically controlling how “open the camera lens” is. Here is a guide to aperture:

Aperture

Frame rate is how often individual pictures are taken. ( A video is not really a video, but rather millions of photos taken in quick succession and then stitched one after the other). By having a framerate of 24fps for example, you will have standard-speed video with 24 individual pictures taken every second, and a regular file size. However, if you take the same video at 30,000fps, it will be a much larger file and much better for slow motion as individual shots are taken 1/30000 seconds after each other, allowing to see detail very clearly in action shots. Frame rate does not affect the quality of a video, but higher frame rates will be smoother in the way that there are more individual pictures of everything happening (whilst a video at 2FPS for example would look very laggy and would be unwatchable, and a video at 0.2fps is not a video, it is a powerpoint presentation).

I hope this helped.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Have a great day and keep up the videography, you’re doing great!
Robertine

Again, if anything I say is inaccurate, anyone can feel free to hop in and let me know. Im more of a photo guy than a video guy, and will willingly accept feedback and corrections.

2 Likes

I highly recommend 60fps bc it allows you to move the camera with little motion blur and it makes for a better video

Thank you very much! This is very helpful. The cloth trick is very neat, I’ll try it out soon and let you know how it goes!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.