camera for plane spotting

hi, i am looking to get into plane spotting and i have read some topics on the forum for what kind of camera to get. i would only be getting this camera at christmas so i have a LOT of time to narrow down what kind of camera to get. so far i have narrowed it down to: canon of some sort, DSLR and a budget of roughly £350-450 (roughly $450 for americans) any help is appreciated:)
note: i understand that this may be a duplicate but since it was personal to my needs i think it isn’t, please correct me if i’m wrong :)
i have also noticed people have advised to others both the rebel series (e.g. rebel t6) and 1300d/2000d etc and i believe the 1300d is newer?
i am unsure between these two series so yeah any suggestions are welcome :)
i also am definitely going to purchase a 75 300mm lense preferably in a bundle with the camera

I would look at this thread:

1 Like

ok thanks i’m also unsure about whether to get a rebel series or 1300d? which is better value

1 Like

I have a Rebel T6 and I love it. You should totally get it if you are thinking about it.

Some of my shots:

1 Like

ok thanks sounds good :)

wow looks brilliant, thanks for the advise, really appreciate it, expect some pics from heathrow, gatwick and london city in 6-7 months time :)

1 Like

The key feature you will be wanting to look for is how fast the autofocus is on the camera. Since you will be shooting a lot of moving photos making sure the camera can track the aircraft will be key to having sharp photos. You will not find this so much from any hard data that manufacturers will give you but look in the reviews of the camera from serious photographers (preferably those who do semi pro or professional stuff) to get the best recommendations from them.

With that being said the anything in the last 3 years will have a good enough autofocus that will adjust quick enough to moving objects. My recommendation is looking for a Canon T5i and up. Canon may not have superior pixel density but they have the superior and most diverse field of lens available for your camera. Seeing as your budget is low you would want to look for the Canon 70-300mm that will get you the distance you need with a crop sensor DSLR. This will be the best bang for your buck for getting started.

Remember that the camera can only do so much. You will need to practice a lot to sharpen your skills as the best photos will come from using the manual setting or one of the priority settings. Try best to avoid the Auto setting as that will not do the best with reading your light nor your white balance and will cost your sharpness and clarity from sacrificing shutter speed, aperture, or ISO level (depending on your shot and what the camera thinks is best at the time)

2 Likes

ok cool thanks, yeah i’ve been reading a lot about recommended settings for ISO and aperture etc and also thanks for info about autofocus :)

Sorry to be the grumpy one here, I don’t mean too! If you could continue on that first thread which is linked for now. It’s the exact same as this one bar different camera suggestions. Thanks!

3 Likes