Calm Winds Bring Fireants

I wish there was a way to communicate between Ground, Tower, Approach and Airplanes which specific runway is the active runway for takeoffs and landings at busy airports. When either end of a runway are both technically eligible due to low wind on the training ATC server it doesn’t take long to become a nightmare scenario. I was working Tower only at KPSP and before long had 3 planes at RWY 13R asking for takeoff 5 planes on the opposite end at 31L asking for takeoff and 6 overhead wanting to land on both. Felt like I was being attacked by fire ants. This happens all the time. Conditions are even worse at San Diego, I think people stay at control until they have to tap out because the fire ants overtake you. Then you just end up with a ton of planes on Unicom fighting for position and maybe not the best experience. Best flight game ever though regardless!

6 Likes

I’m surprised you weren’t introduced to chaos the moment you began working the airport.

4 Likes

Haha, I fought them off as long as I could brutha.

2 Likes

An option, though it requires immense skill, would be to take over all positions at once. Then, you could direct everything, and also be a champion for tackling that big of a task.

2 Likes

Perform a personal favorite, highly effective maneuver, fight fire with fire. Line 'em up for 31L, give it a 5 minute interval in-between departures, and you’re set

1 Like

You’d make a great coach. Well If it can be done by one person at a busy airport I guess I’ll see if I can make my phone smoke and click faster.

1 Like

Well first thing is first, Dont you ever control any airport TS1 Socal, just dont do it ever please i beg you… Anyway in that situation use sequencing even though most aircraft wont follow instructions and will land their A380 At KSAN at close to 400 knts. If they are inbound Pattern instruction,Sequnce,Clear! That simple!!

1 Like

Yeah especially at a major airport I hear you. That’s a lot to ask. Thanks bud.

I did not mean any airport at all i meant any airport at socal!!! I control in south florida and every single aircraft follows my instructions and i make a good pattern, Unless that one noob comes in and takes of from a government funded residential area Lol

1 Like

Yeah, like only ground can clear crossing runways but tower manages takeoffs/landings. I find that a problem.

1 Like

Hey, the TS1 isn’t that bad(besides that a380 landing at the GA rwy.)

3 Likes

@N789MH or the fighter that takes off with after burner, panics at reaching the speed limit two seconds after takeoff, zoom climbs, stalls and crashes.

Yea I despise controlling any position in Socal. It would probably be great to manage all those aircraft and would certainly make for excellent practice with that kind of workload. It’s just near impossible with the amount of aircraft that don’t want to comply. Yet I still do it from time to time, lol.

I prefer controlling anywhere in Hawaii or Seattle-Tacoma.

1 Like

I suggest KSNA. But you have to watch out for anything bigger than a 737 is too big.

Maybe some kind of call, like Skype? But this would require some collaboration. Like, once you enter the ATC screen, you join a chat with other ATCs?

1 Like

No, please contact an IFATC scouter/recruiter for questions about ATC. That’s in order to ensure that the answers are correct.
We don’t want anyone to do something wrong because they’ve been told so.

3 Likes

In IFATC we coordinate with our fellow controllers when we’re opening together. You can’t expect much from TS. :)

1 Like

Contact a scout or recruiter no one else.

1 Like

I don’t think I’d take advise from someone who is hanging on a thread from joining IFATC. Contact a scout or Recruiter if your serious about growing your knowledge.
Also the best way to avoid this is taking tower and ground yourself.

IFATC supervisor\ recruiter

5 Likes

Yup better of with an IFATC 100% of the time! These guys are good!

1 Like

Took your advice and did Tower and Ground together at KPSP. Wow MUCH better experience. thank you! So much fun. It’s night and day when everyone is on the same page. Volume is definitely manageable that way.

1 Like