Calling Position Reports

I recently was flying the pattern on the expert server when ATC and I had a conflict in terms of position reports. When an airport is not busy and you are flying in the traffic pattern, it is HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you report your position when on downwind. Base and final calls are more of an unnecessary report, but can still be helpful in terms of situational awareness for the controller. I was told by the controller not to make these calls, as apparently having clearance to land made these calls unnecessary. I would just like to put it out there that there is nothing wrong with calling out your position, as it is only to help the pilot, and the controller. The ONLY time I’d be able to see that making position reports would be unnecessary is if the airport is extremely busy. Just remember, position reports are not mandatory, but are helpful in allowing for separation of traffic. Never is it inappropriate to make a position report (even if cleared to land, touch and go, etc.), except if the airport is busy. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong, but as I see it, I shouldn’t risk getting a violation for doing the right thing.

4 Likes

I don’t know about IRL, but in IF, if you’re cleared, there is no need to report your position.

6 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community. When doing patterns with ATC in infinite flight, you actually don’t need to call our positions unless the controller may have forgotten your clearance. Another good time is when you are reporting full stop. We can see you in our radars so we know your position.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info, IRL it’s a good idea to at least call downwind even if you’re cleared to land, I was just a little annoyed that the controller (who had maybe one other plane inbound, so I wasn’t clogging the freq.) was giving me a problem about calling my position. I guess I’ll just leave it up to the controllers to see me next time. :)

Out of curiosity. Was this today? Because had a pilot do this today.

1 Like

@ThomasThePro
Yes, it was today, and yes you were the controller. No worries, now I know for next time.

2 Likes

If you want PM to talk about today :)

1 Like

Well, welcome @Bmoney326, so, firstly a question, did you call inbound first? If so, sometimes reporting position is not the best thing and(as a IF pilot not an ATC controller) the controllers don’t like them very much specially in busy frequencies. If you didn’t, call inbound first, there is no reason for them to tell you that, but make sure you call inbound just after. An other factor to take into account is the own controller, in my flights, some when I report position after inbound, they just tell me Roger, and others tell me the same thing as you.
As someone mentioned before, in IF, reporting positions are mainly when you feel that the controller forgave you and you will pass the point, either to turn final or base etc… but still, most of the times they don’t.😋

In your case of the “empty” airport, really reporting position mighttttt have been not EXTREMELY necessary, even though, you can always do it.

I hope this helped but any more help, just ask!

As I have been told, “There are no stupid questions, but fools that don’t ask!” ( It isn’t in english so my traduction might not be the best hahaha) 😃

2 Likes

Yes, I was in the pattern at the airport I departed from, so I was in contact the whole time. I agree, my calls weren’t necessary, but since the airport wasn’t busy, and I figured it wasn’t a problem, I did it anyway. Thanks for the help, and that is a good quote!

1 Like

Good question. I hope you got some clarity and continue having great experiences in IF and IFC.

1 Like

Even in real life reports aren’t necessary unless the controller asks for them as in closed traffic (US). The controller is there for separation and usually will know you’re there. Unless an extenuating circumstance exists, reporting your position just clogs up the frequency.

1 Like

I guess the bottom line is that if you report your position while cleared to land you’re always going to get that message from the controller, unless it’s super busy where you might just be ignored.

1 Like

Hello @Mikael_Abud, very interesting post. Reading you I will make you the next question:

Would you recommend reporting to ATC a final position on rwy XX after the clearance to land in this rwy?

Regards.

Pelayo.

1 Like

If you do this on IF expert server, the controller will issue you an “already cleared to land, avoid unnecessary reports” command. No need to report position after being cleared. Simple as that.

1 Like

Thanks! Very appreciated your answer!

Pelayo.

1 Like

Yes @PelayoVA , specially Final, it is often answered with the avoid unnecessary reports. @Chitown Thx for answering 😀

2 Likes

Hi, as far as I’m concerned reported position should only be done when:

• Controller may forgot about you
  • You were remaining in the pattern but now want to just land. It isn’t illegal to do so without reporting full stop, as “cleared for the option” includes full stop, but it is certainly nice to do so. Also if controller didn’t already clear you for the option, you can request landing clearance or stick with this one.

Don’t do that when:

• You’re on final and you’re already cleared to land. If atc have a special command for that, you know it’s a big no-no
  • Announcing each part of your journey around the downwind. We have a beautiful radar for looking after you on your adventure.
3 Likes

Not sure I said to atc once that I’m on final and I was told “ your already cleared to land, avoid unnecessary reports” but it doesn’t make sense because what if the controller forgot and I said nothing yah well then it’s my fault for not saying anything!

2 Likes

If you weren’t cleared to land, we would clear you at that point. We can see with green tags if you were cleared or not.

2 Likes

@Alexander_Nikitin posted a good summary of when to use it.

4 Likes