Calculate cruise speed with winds

I’m wandering how can you calculate your final cruise speed with the winds aloft I don’t know how to do that

I don’t think you really need to change the speed due to wind. My final cruising speed is usually 280 knots . You can use spoilers, flaps, etc. to help with the speed, but you don’t really need to change it due to wind.

Cruise speed is usually expressed in a percentage of Mach (the speed of sound). I don’t think winds play a big role besides that they change your ground speed. Ground speed varies depending on the direction and speed of the wind, but your mach setting should be consistent.

Typical cruise speeds vary by aircraft. I know the 737, 757, A320, and regional jets are around 0.78 to 0.80. I think most heavies are around 0.84. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on these.

There are also plenty of awesome topics around the community that help with aircraft performance, like the ones I’ve listed below (and others are out there) 🙂

I hope my answer helps in some way 👍 (if it doesn’t, I’d be glad to try to help when I wake up in the morning)

Hi @alec222, try this :TAS / GS - Just how fast?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.