C172's range

Since rework for C172 came, I want to do a long cross country with a new C172. And I want to know what is a max range for C172 with max fuel.

4 Likes

650nm apparently. But I think in IF if you lean correctly and have no cargo and all, you can get it to do quite some bit more. Like 800-900nm

5 Likes

Thank you!

I’ll do a quick approximation to check. I may be wrong. But I have to say, reducing the mixture really increased the range. I did a long flight recently stopping several times for touch and goes and had plenty fuel left (more than 600nm)

1 Like

what was a % for mixture?

I was using about 65%

I’ve done some quick testing. Range will drastically vary depending on speed, mixture and altitude. (Things you can control). I found that if you reduce the mixture as much as possible it seems you can get a flow of 17kgs/h Independently from the speeds I tested. So it would be better to go faster. Then there’s altitude. I didn’t try that. But I filed a plan for 1100nm and at cruise it was telling me I’d make it. I’d get even more since the consumption decreases with the decreasing weight.

So the numbers I gave you earlier were safe

1 Like

You can also fly about 80,000ft. People have done transatlantic flights in a C172 lol 😂😂😂

4 Likes

Thank you for great information!

1 Like

Honestly probably about 4 hrs or 350miles is realistic for a 172 just Google the POH and look at cruise performance.

1 Like

@Ecoops123. MaxSez… Nonsense, 80k LOL. Cite the source and special equipment required to achieve this spectacular pipe dream.
(It took Lindbergh 33.5 hr to trans-Lant no-Stop. Just the facts not conjecture Pls.
Max

4 Likes

There’s currently a known bug where piston-engine aircraft have dramatically increased performance after 15,000-20,000 feet. Not realistic, but it’s there.

2 Likes

Leaning the mixture to 60 or 65% with a light load will get you up above 6 hours of flight time. With enough of a tailwind I think you could make it from St. John’s to Ireland at 13,000 feet or so.

1 Like

@tomthetank. MaxSez: Daredevil/Deathwish Flight Parameters LOL.
Gander/St.John…Iceland, Greenland, Stornoway, at 13 grand, sputtering all the way on 02. Only in IF or in a nightmare.
Who lov’s ya Baby, always fly for real, MaxSends

5 Likes

It’s quite hilarious to be honest.

1 Like

It appears to me that there is not enough room in the C-172 cockpit to carry the oxygen tanks necessary for an extended trip in to the stratosphere…or that such a flimsy aircraft is designed for sustained flight at such an altitude… but then l am cogitating from a realistic perspective !

2 Likes

MaxSez: The Photo proves Butkus! So some IF Ouija gamer with imagination and time on there hands uses the marvels of technology to take a fantasy flight in the unknown and unattainable. Next stop, the second star to the right, destination FantasyLand… Da
LOL, Max

5 Likes

@YukiNeko MaxSez: FYI;

OR

regards, Max

2 Likes

Based on my (admittedly limited) tests, you could fly from St. John’s to Ireland at 11,500 feet with 60% mixture. Not quite high enough to require oxygen, and you’re below the service ceiling. You’d just need a few extra layers and some heated insoles.

3 Likes

@Tomthetank. MaxSez: I’m sure your correct Tom. It’s IF, anything is a possibility even the improbable. No fuel Stops, no weighty survival gear for a sub-arctic over water. How about a 69lbs survival suit at least and a candy bar. Historically, Lucky Lindy flew a “flying gas tank” high Wing monoplane with a fly, thermos and a sandwich non-stop New York to Paris in 33.5 hours. Why not you. Good Luck, Max

3 Likes