C172 bounced landing

How do I land a C172 well using live instruments? I’ve been getting bounces a lot.

Depends on many factors. What speed are you landing at?

I would use this time stamp in Tyler’s video as a general guide until a full C172 landing video can be made.

4 Likes

The secret to a good landing is a good approach. Make sure you are centered with the runway. I’m not sure if this is true in the simulator, but in a real C172 the plane will want to turn the left. You can correct this by using more right rudder. Set a sight picture. Put the numbers or a point on the runway in a steady sight picture and drive into it. This will be your aiming point. Keep it stationary in your view. A good short final in a C172 is flown at about 60 knots*. Once you have the runway made, pull power. Once the you’re about 10 feet above the runway you can begin to flare. Apply back pressure and keep the airplane just above the runway. As it settles down apply more back pressure to assure it hits on the main gears first. Remember, as you slow down your control surfaces become less effective, so remember to add more input, not less. Once the mains touch, hold off the nose as long as possible and set it down smoothly. Keep the back pressure to use effective aerodynamic braking. This will help you slow down without braking. Once you’re below 40 knots you can apply smooth, and even, braking.

*If it’s gusting make sure to add one half the gust factor to your final approach speed. Gust factor is the difference between the wind speed and the speed the wind is gusting to. If the winds are 13007G15, the gust factor is 8 knots. One half of that would be 4. If you were approaching a runway and these were the winds, your final approach speed should be 64 knots.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.