C-172 Landing

Hello guys

Lately I have been flying a lot the magnificent C-172, however, I’ve got very bumpy landings (I try to keep 65 kts as touchdown speed). Any tips on how to perform smoother landings?

Thanks a lot and wish you blue skies ahead!

I land usually at full flaps 60 kts. I also pull up a lot on the yoke to endure that the back wheels hit first. Landing the Cessna is a challenge though

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your insights!

Speed sounds about right it’s not a jet so it’s tough to get the flair perfect. As soon as you cross the threshold cut all power then 5-10 feet from the ground level out to burn off speed when you start defending pull back for your flair. @masonh2479 sorry that wasn’t ment to go you he snuck a post in while I was typing :)

1 Like

VSo is 54 mph (stall). A landing is a “controlled crash”. Full Flap Approach 65-75 based on conditions. As Mr Sandstorm noted chop the throttle just over the keys. Let her settle. Start your flair at +-10 AGL, ground effect will do the rest.
Hear the horn beep when the rear wheels touch you get a perfect “controlled Crash” every time. Max

3 Likes

Hey no problem man :) In real life 60kts is the speed I land at and seems to be the best speed to get yourself on the ground easy. Generally approach the threshold at 70kts then when you cross the threshold throttle goes to idle you will land at around 60. :) Happy flying

55kn perfect touchdown speed, it wont bounce if you have brakes on as well.

1 Like

I am like 5-10 feet above runway and I stall it right on. Get a perfect landing:)

I land at 55 kts.

Ya that’s where it stalls

The 172 is one of the most difficult planes to land in IF.

Because it is a top wing aircraft it has a centre of gravity which is below the wing, so you will be landing it differently than you would a low wing aircraft.

With a low wing aircraft the nose will pitch up as it slows, requiring more flaps. Flaps push the nose down. This is why it will flare when you lower your approach speed too landing speed after crossing the threshold. Pulling back the yoke assists with the flare.

As a top wing aircraft, the 172 does the opposite. When you lower the speed, the nose dips. Increasing the flaps raises the nose. So if you cut your throttles too soon, your nose will dip requiring you to pull back real hard on the yoke.

In a real aircraft you can feel what is going on and able the judge when you are a few feet above the runway. The flight characteristics in IF are a bit different and you don’t have that sense of feel and perception, so the approach will be a bit different. It’s the same as comparing a racing sim to an actual car. Similar but different.

Set your plane at 25% weight. Maintain 55kts and fly a few feet above the runway in a pitch up attitude to a touchdown. Don’t lower the throttle and certainly don’t cut the throttle until your wheels touch. Your flare will slow your speed, but be careful that it does not slow too much or your nose will drop. Be prepared to add throttle if this happens. Allow your plane to fly to a landing

Suggestion - If you used your auto throttle to maintain 55kts, it is a good idea to disengage it once you cross the threshold, and leave the throttle where it is. This prevents the auto throttle from increasing thrust when you don’t want it to and will maintain the power until you touchdown.

Also you need to be aware that when your plane is sitting on all 3 wheels the nose is at a 4 degree pitch up attitude. So when you cross the threshold you want to be flying level at 4 degrees up and ready to flare (or a take off attitude) once you are a few feet above the runway.

Remember, throttle controls altitude, pitch controls speed.

There are lots of landing lessons available on YouTube, they are not only educational, but fun to try in the Sim as well.

Good luck and have fun :)

3 Likes