C-130 innacurate with use of reverse thrust in air

Irl, C-130s can’t go into ground idle and or reverse thrust when there is no weight on wheels. The IF model allows for reverse thrust in air.
Also on that note. A feature of the C-17 is it’s ability to use reverse thrust in the air. This feature is not modeled in IF also. Can this be corrected?
Thank you

Device:
Operating system:

I think they use reverse thrust irl

1 Like

For some reason, we implemented this feature. It could have been due to something with Fat Albert but my memory isn’t the most reliable source for this.
It’s been 7 years, so back tracking the discussion turns out to be close to impossible.

However, it seems like you’re correct that it shouldn’t be looking at this “generally”.

The reason the C-17 isn’t able to is simply because it’s by far one of our oldest model. The fact that it even has reverse thrust in the app is somewhat of an accomplishment. When the times comes for the C-17 to be reworked, things like this will be looked at.

4 Likes

Reverse thrust can only be initiated ground via the WOW switch.There is the ground idle detent on the throttle column that locks you out of beta in flight. It would be catastrophic for the C-130 to use reverse thrust in the air.

I like the model for both aircraft. I think the C-130 is a little too powerful but overall it is a beautiful model. I do have some suggestions on the AC-130H if you would like to talk.

As far as I am aware, the capability of reverse thrust for the C-130 depends on the model.
Not sure about the A model, but the B had the capability for sure.
Dependency’s are the Engine, the gearbox, the propeller mechanism, and the propeller itself.
For the newer models the propeller is not designed to take the forces. For the mid range the gearbox is the limiting factor.

On the other hand the use of reverse thrust is very limited.
Most airforces prohibit the use while airborne, including the USAF.
The only airforce that has a published procedure for it that I know is Italy, but I do not have a recent version by hand and couldn’t check if it is for all variants or even still valid.

All this was lengthy discussed before, not sure where to find it in here, but the consensus was to keep the capability.

For C-17 it is simple, capability is marketed by Boeing and procedure are floating around the internet as well as videos of use of it.

I do not know the C-130B model but I do know the throttle quadrent is the same and the Bs-Hs also use the same Hamilton Standard 54H60 propellers. They all use the same mechanical valve housing. (Except for the J that use the dowty props and now later Hs that have been upgraded with the NP2000 props that use a digital valve housing). There is a physical wall between alpha and beta with a mechanical lock that prevents the throttles from going into beta while in flight. Now, I have brought the throttle to the wall mostly when doing assault landings. When you hit NTS, it actually pushes the props forward. You would have to redesign the prop and the throttle quadrent on the aircraft to allow this in the air. I am not saying it hasn’t happened, I am just saying that reversing in the sir was not a “feature” built in by Lockheed. I am not saying you are wrong but I would need to find in writing where this was ever used or modified on any C-130 that used the 54H60 props.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.