C-130 In-flight Reverse Thrust - Wrong!

Good morning, afternoon or evening wherever you are in the world,

I initially began trying out Infinite Flight many years ago and I had observed an issue that I thought would have been fixed by now. The in-flight reverse thrust for C-130’s is entirely wrong. I am unsure why this issue has not yet been fixed or even addressed by anyone before. I’ve witnessed multiple people on this forum stating that it can do so with what appears to be purely assumptions or trust in an unreliable source.

All it takes is a simple Google search and you can examine for yourself that this is non-existent. Perhaps it was mixed up with the C-17 which can do so? I know that the Globemaster III is capable of it in real life and it doesn’t in the simulator. I grasp that the C-17 is in dire need of being remodelled so it’s understandable though with the C-130 being a fairly advanced/modern add-on to Infinite Flight, I thought they’d have be more on point formally.

From here I just have one question; will this ever be further looked into and fixed by the developers?

Regards,

Flying-Fortress

4 Likes

Can you please link the sites that say that this is wrong im having difficulty finding something like this.

Also welcome back to IFC C:

Check this:
C130 Thrust Reversers

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

The feature request for a C-130 rework does address reverse thrust inaccuracies too.

1 Like

Here is a source I found within seconds… Visit page 21 of the PDF and in the first line of the second paragraph on that page you can see it states, in bold letter format, that it can be used on the ground only.

Maybe many IF Pilots do not engage it when airborne
never even considered to try it since it doesn’t exist.

That link is specifically what I was talking about when I said “I’ve witnessed multiple people on this forum stating that it can do so with what appears to be purely assumptions or trust in an unreliable source.”

1 Like

The bottom line is that if you do use reverse thrust in flight you will use alot of airspeed and will most likely crash it does need to be fixed but very unlikely that anyone would do it that was thinking correctly.

@phoenix74, I believe that anyone who has flown the C-130 in the simulator has noticed this issue. It comes to be an issue the moment that you are attempting to lower the throttle while on approach and I find it commonly occurs at the exact moment it shouldn’t; as you are pulling back the throttle to idle while aiming to flare. I’m sure you are intelligent and understand what would occur there with the airspeed rapidly decreasing.

@USA_ATC If you agree it needs to be fixed then it looks like we’re on the same page! As you can see in the other comment I made in this same reply, I said the same thing as you about how you can lose airspeed quickly.

1 Like

I fly the C-130 , yup its sensitive to engage reverse thrust on cut back to idle. So to support your concern
to fix this , you have my 100% support.
I hope this is addressed…the to do list for IF improvements is so long that the sim will have reached market obsolescence long before much of it
is realized. But we move forward inch by inch.
thanks for your effort to improve the C-130 and IF overall. Only we can make things better by discussing them
cheers

Actually false. The thrust reversing for the C130 is just using thrust to simulate the change in feathering for the aircraft. The C130 can feather its blades in air to rapidly reduce airspeed (as modeled) and perform tactical approaches which is what the C17 does with using thrust reverse. As listed by someone who works with C130 the aircraft in IF misleads by thinking prop speed is increased (thrust) rather than feathering. The C130 is a constant speed prop aircraft. Thrust doesn’t change but relies on the feathering. As I already said this feathering does change in air and can even be done so to cause a “reverse thrust effect”. It is only wrong in IF because it does it through “thrust” but the C130 can “reverse thrust in air”

In fact all aircraft can reverse thrust in air technically, there are just systems to prevent accidental deployment like in the Lauda 767 crashes case.

Edit: I should clarify I am combining the full feathering with the reverse pitch ability. Technically separate but for simplicity sake they operate in order to create reverse thrust effect.

4 Likes

Actually, not false as you just clarified yourself with your “technically speaking”. Is this a simulator or a game? According to Oxford Languages, simulate: imitate the appearance or character of. Being “sort of right” but technically wrong doesn’t adhere to that definition.

Feathering the aircrafts blades is not reverse thrust? TYCO, when did I say it was? The C-130 being able to feather its props to reduce airspeed still comes nowhere close to what is capable in this simulator which is incorrectly represented by how it is said to be reverse thrust. I am aware of how the C-130 works as well with myself being a pilot and my father having been a C-130T, E, H, and J pilot in the RCAF as well as the USMC flying KC-130’s while he was on exchange.

When you go into more detail on how it all works with the blades and being feathered and/or reversed, you just make everything complicated by relating specific factors to others. At the end of the day: The C-130 does not have reverse thrust like it has been modelled to have in Infinite Flight. It does not matter if for “simplicity sake they operate in order to create reverse thrust effect.” It is incorrect and that was the whole point in my post.

I’m not here to argue with you about this when we are on the same page and we just have a difference in opinion about how detailed this “simulator” should be. Good day!

1 Like

To avoid other confrontational replies between users, we’re politely closing this down. I will certainly relay this information along to the appropriate channels to have this looked at for a future update. But being that the developers have been extremely busy with 20.2 there are no promises that this adjustment will occur in the upcoming update. Thanks for the understanding and thank you for the information. We greatly appreciate it!

7 Likes