Bucket List Challenge - Tracking Thread

Bucket List Challenge

Since Hong Kong has now been cut off from the rest of the world through COVID restrictions, me and some of my friends started to really get an itch for travelling. So I asked everyone I knew to write down 5-10 places they would have on their bucket list. Some of the places I received were Landmarks such as Mount Fuji, some were Cities such as Nuuk, some were States such as Hawaii and some were Countries such as Cyprus. So I thought to myself how I could scratch the itch of wanting to travel, so I came up with the idea to fly the routes on IF like it was the real thing.

Some rules that were set for myself:

• All flights must originate from Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH).
  • All flights can only be direct if that is a realistic route, if the real route would require a stopover in another city, I must take this into account and perform it.
  • All flights must be flown on the actual aircraft and airline that would be used in the event of a real trip (if the livery is not available on IF, I must fly Generic. If the Aircraft is not available on IF, I must use the closest available, an example is replacing the ATR 72 with Dash 8).
  • All routes chosen must be economically and time practical, routes that cost thousands more than others or routes with 50 hour stopovers will be avoided (in an attempt to keep realism).
  • All flights will have a return leg (if the flight has a stop, the route back does not have to be through the same connecting airport as long as it is realistic).
  • All flights will be chosen based on Pre-COVID travel (would be nearly impossible otherwise as HK has banned so many airlines it would get boring going through the same connection airports), this means that since it is pre COVID travel, it is also pre Ukraine Invasion.

If the destination is a Landmark or a City, the closest practical airport will be chosen (within reason). If the destination is a State or Country, there must be one connecting flight that lands within the same State or Country.

The list of destinations has been completely randomised as to not have multiple destinations from the same country popping up one after another (this still may happen but hopefully less than before randomising).

There will be a notification in the below thread 10 minutes before departure of flights so anyone can join me and do a group flight.

All of the pictures from the flights will be posted below in the thread with an explanation of the route taken after both the outgoing and returning flights have been finished.

If any of you guys would also like to add some of your destinations to the bucket list, please feel free to add to the thread and I will add it to the list of destinations, I will add it to the end, but because the randomiser is like those of a raffle (Pulls a destination out of an Electronic Hat) it could turn up next, in the middle or last. If you are interested to find out what the list of destinations looks like you can find the link to the google sheet below. On the google sheet you can find the randomiser link just in case you are curious.

Thank you all for reading and I look forward to seeing you in the skies!

27 Likes

Take the Cathay A330 and fly it over to Denpasar WADD

3 Likes

Cool unique challenge! Have fun!

2 Likes

Will add that to the list, thank you for your contribution!

2 Likes

Thank you! Hopefully will see some beautiful scenery!

1 Like

1. Railay Beach

The first destination on this fantastic list is Railay Beach, a small beach famous for its stunning scenery, crystal blue waters and white sand beach. Just west of the town of Krabi it can be found in the South West of Thailand looking out towards the Malacca Strait.

Route

Outbound: Hong Kong International Airport - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi - Krabi International Airport
Return: Krabi International Airport - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi - Hong Kong International Airport

Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH) - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (VTBS)

Aircraft: Thai Airways B777-200ER
Departure Time: 0115 Zulu/ 0915 HKT (Departed)
Server: Expert Server
Gate of Departure: W63
Runway to Depart: 07R
Cruise Altitude: 36,000ft
Cruise Speed: Mach 0.85
Expected Arrival Runway: 01R
Estimated Flight Time: 2 Hours and 39 Minutes
Actual Flight Time: 2 Hours and 27 Minutes

Departure From Hong Kong with Kai Tak (VHHX) in the Background

Decent into Bangkok over the Bay

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (VTBS) - Krabi International Airport (VTSG)

Aircraft: Bangkok Airways A319 (Generic due to lack of livery)
Departure Time: 0600 Zulu/ 1400 HKT (Departed)
Gate of Departure: Concourse D Gate D07
Runway to Depart: 01L
Cruise Altitude: 32,000ft
Cruise Speed: Mach 0.78
Expected Arrival Runway: 32
Estimated Flight Time: 1 Hour and 19 Minutes
Actual Flight Time: 1 Hour and 11 Minutes

Departure From Bangkok

Skimming the Thai Coast Down to Krabi

Time to Relax on Railay Beach

Krabi International Airport (VTSG) - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (VTBS)

Aircraft: Bangkok Airways A319 (Generic due to lack of livery)
Departure Time: 0900 Zulu/ 1700 HKT (Departed)
Gate of Departure: 4
Runway to Depart: 14
Cruise Altitude: 33,000ft
Cruise Speed: Mach 0.78
Expected Arrival Runway: 01R
Estimated Flight Time: 1 Hour and 19 Minutes
Actual Flight Time: 1 Hour and 10 Minutes

Time to Head Back Home

The Lights Come On As the Sun Sets

"Bangkok Has Him Now, and She Will Never Let Him Go"

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (VTBS) - Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH)

Aircraft: Thai Airways A330
Departure Time: 1100 Zulu/ 1900 HKT (Departed)
Gate of Departure: Concourse C Gate C04
Runway to Depart: 01L
Cruise Altitude: 35,000ft
Cruise Speed: Mach 0.82
Expected Arrival Runway: 07L
Estimated Flight Time: 2 Hours and 39 Minutes
Actual Flight Time: 2 Hours and 4 Minutes

Departing Bangkok as the Sun Sets

Arriving Back into Hong Kong Refreshed After a Stay at the Beach

Thank you to all who watches this destination take flight!

11 Likes

very nice idea. maybe one day il join you

1 Like

Thank you! Hope you can join me in the skies one day soon!

I’m with fourth on this one- would love a group flight or 2!

1 Like

2. Dhaka

The next destination on this wonderful list is Dhaka. The capital of Bangladesh is home to an insane wealth of culture. Whether you are in Dhaka to visit the historical sites in Old Dhaka or looking to cruise down the Buriganga River, there is something to love for all.

Route

Outbound: Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH) - Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport (VGHS)
Return: Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport (VGHS) - Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH)

Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH) - Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport (VGHS)

Aircraft: Cathay Pacific A330
Departure Time: 0115 Zulu/ 0915 HKT (Departed)
Server:Expert Server
Gate of Departure: S31
Runway to Depart: 25L
Cruise Altitude: 36,000ft
Expected Arrival Runway: 32
Estimated Flight Time: 3 Hours and 32 Minutes
Actual Flight Time: 3 Hours and 50 Minutes

Misty Departure Out of Hong Kong

With a Beautiful Scenic Flight over Western China

And an Equally Misty Arrival into Dhaka

Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport (VGHS) - Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH)

Departure Time: 0715 Zulu/ 1515 HKT (Departed)
Server:Expert Server
Gate of Departure: 02
Runway to Depart: 14
Expected Arrival Runway: 25R
Estimated Flight Time: 3 Hours and 32 Minutes
Actual Flight Time: 2 Hours 51 Minutes

Departure From Dhaka Over the Meghna River

Butter at Sunset on Arrival in Hong Kong

Thank you to all who watched this destination take flight!

3 Likes

Fantastic to hear! I am trying to run 1 Destination every 1-2 days (Depending on length) as there is currently 241 destinations. That is unless people from the community want to add some as well, then it will grow. So please feel free to join any whenever you are available!

I would recommend adding Aspen (KASE) airport for its steep approach, or another mountainous airport like Innsbruck (LOWI) and attempting the circle to land procedure, could make for some interesting shenanigans ig :)

1 Like

Thank you for recommendations! I will add those to the list, I will count the approach requests as the bucket list request haha.

1 Like

unfortunately i can’t join you on this as its already just turned 1am local time for me (my country lines up with Zulu time if you want a quick reference). I can fly after tomorrow though, or potentially in the morning as i have to fly around my work schedule >-<

1 Like

No worries at all, totally understand. There is no pressure to join, please only join if you have time. I am only able to do this at this frequency due to the fact nearly all of Hong Kong is working from home. If it was not I would have the same struggles, so I understand completely!

1 Like

off topic but didn’t know you were from HK- cant imagine timezones will do us any favours in this haha

1 Like

Yeah, time zones here are crazy, but the whole point of this challenge is to scratch the itch of not being able to travel as HK has pretty much made travel impossible.

1 Like

3. Hyderabad

The next destination on this list is Hyderabad, a city in the centre of India, which is full of history. With historical sites such as Golcanda Fort, Qutb Shahi Tombs, Moula Ali Dargah and the Paigah Tombs, there is plenty to explore. One of the things that must be seen while in this beautiful city is visiting the statue of the Gautam Buddha that is sat in the middle of Hussain Sagar Lake.

Route

Outbound: Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH) - Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (VOHS)
Return: Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (VOHS) - Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH)

Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH) - Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (VOHS)

Aircraft: Cathay Pacific B777-300ER
Departure Time: 0145 Zulu/ 0945 HKT (Departed)
Gate of Departure: W42
Runway of Departure: 07R
Cruise Altitude: 38,000ft
Cruise Speed: Mach 0.85
Expected Arrival Runway: 09R
Estimated Flight Time: 5 Hours and 11 Minutes
Actual Flight Time: 5 Hours and 28 Minutes

Departure to the North over Shenzhen Before Heading West

Some Beautiful Views over Southern Bangladesh

Approach into Hyderabad’s Runway 09R

Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (VOHS) - Hong Kong International Airport (VHHH)

Departure Time: 0900 Zulu/ 1700 HKT (Departed)
Gate of Departure: 56
Runway of Departure: 09R
Expected Arrival Runway: 25R
Estimated Flight Time: 5 Hours and 11 Minutes
Actual Flight Time: 4 Hours and 7 Minutes

Departure over Godavari River

Saying Goodbye to the East Indian Coast

Approach into Hong Kong Over the Islands

Thank you to all who watched this destination take flight!

2 Likes

Done that flight before, its a really fun one.

1 Like

It is a lovely one, some really pretty views!

1 Like