British Caledonian Airways DC-10

Hello, and welcome to my first feature request! Today, I am requesting the British Caledonian Airways DC-10.

Here’s a little info on British Caledonian Airways:

Caledonian Airways was the brainchild of Adam Thomson, a former British European Airways (BEA) Viscount pilot and ex-Britavia captain, and John de la Haye, a former BEA flight steward and Cunard Eagle’s erstwhile New York office manager.

Thomson, de la Haye and three associates started Caledonian Airways from scratch with an initial investment of £54,000 raised from institutional investors on both sides of the Atlantic, many of which had a “Scottish connection”.

Initially, Thomson, de la Haye and their associates wanted to incorporate the new airline under the name Scottish Airways. When they found out that BEA had already reserved this name, the company was incorporated as Caledonian Airways (Prestwick) in Prestwick, Scotland, in April 1961 to conduct worldwide IT and group charter operations, with de la Haye and Thomson being appointed managing and deputy managing director respectively.

Caledonian operated its inaugural flight on 29 November 1961 from Gatwick, the newly formed airline’s main operating base, to Barbados. The first revenue service, an immigrant charter under contract to London Transport Executive, operated the following day in the opposite direction.

The first fare-paying passengers to New York departed Prestwick on 21 December 1961. They had paid £40 for the return trip.

Other destinations served during the first year of operations included Lourenço Marques.

The initial aircraft type operated was the Douglas DC-7C, the first of which was leased from Sabena in November 1961.[2][3][22] This aircraft was lost in a fatal accident in Cameroon in March 1962. It was replaced the following month with another aircraft of the same type leased from the same source.

Caledonian’s first two DC-7Cs operated European and long-distance charter flights, carrying mainly tour groups, inclusive tour holidaymakers and members of the British Armed Forces. The Ministry of Defence approved Caledonian as a carrier for trooping flights in early 1962. IT flights to European holiday resorts began during summer 1962.

Two Caledonian Airways Douglas DC-7Cs appeared at the Biggin Hill Air Fair in May 1963; one to carry travel trade invitees on a special flight around the English south coast; the other to be viewed by the public while on static display at the airfield.

The DC-7C continued to be the main type flown during the early years. The last example was sold in September 1966.
The airline was emphasising its Scottish roots for marketing purposes by adding the tagline “The Scottish International Airline” immediately behind the Caledonian name on both sides of the aircraft’s fuselage, and by making its female flight attendants wear tartan uniforms. The company also sought to attract customers by providing an inflight service that was superior to what most other contemporary charter airlines offered, including complimentary meals, drinks and free overnight bags.

Max Wilson, the chairman of the Overseas Visitors’ Club, one of the airline’s main group charterers, became Caledonian’s first majority shareholder.

In late 1963, the Donaldson Line, a Scottish shipping company, took a 25% minority stake in Caledonian by subscribing to new shares worth £32,000. This provided the resources to expand the airline’s freighting activities and to add a pair of DC-6Bs to its fleet in time for the following year’s European summer charter season. As at the 1963 Biggin Hill Air Fair, in which Caledonian participated with two of its DC-7Cs, one of the newly acquired DC-6Bs could be viewed by the public while on static display at the 1964 Biggin Hill Air Fair.

Photo credit goes to Mark Abbott (http://www.markabbottphotos.com/douglas/d10/kgd100001.jpg)

Thank you for checking out my first feature request!

You definitely did not copy and paste…no absolute way.

I absolutely did. I didn’t see a rule against it, so why not! Forgot to add the works cited; will do so once I get home.

I think you need IFC counseling…copy and pasting is illegal!! You wouldn’t do it on a report for school, would you?

Mate, it’s not illegal if you provide the source, which I said I will do.

1 Like

Hate to break it to you but there is no rule against doing it. I have even done it a few times myself, I can even bet that most of us here have. As long as you give credit to the original source you are good to go.

4 Likes

Well I think you should at least cite a source, which he will be doing in the meantime. At least give credit and have info from your own self. He hasn’t done any of that yet.

No more chit chatting PM from now on :)

2 Likes

There is no rule against it, but it makes for a poor feature request

7 Likes

Can we please move on from this 🙄 The only thing I’m going to edit in terms of my post are the credits.

Thank you.

Sorry, just for the future if you do copy and paste keep it basic, no need to know their whole history but yeah it’s a great livery!

It surprises me that there are 11 comments and none of them are talking about the livery XD

Anyways, I really like the livery, nice choice of colors but I don’t think I’ll get rid of a vote for this. If I free up a vote in the near future, I will vote for this :)

2 Likes

Beautiful retro livery! I love how the tail looks like, would be better if the logo was bigger though. Unfortunately I’m out of votes.

By the way I don’t see the problem in copy & pasting when you are providing the source. I mean why do you have to go out of your way to write information when there is already so much?

1 Like