British Airways Saved By Qatar

QATAR crews are SCABS for this… you never cross a picket line!

4 Likes

I agree. It’s not going to be good for the BA crew striking. 16 day strike gone to waste, oh well at least people know how bad BA are.

9 planes, and they were only coming from Doha. Most of the delay was waiting for CAA approval which only came a few days ago.

Exactly. The CAA had to approve it, just that is not good from an environmental standpoint those planes were being used by Qatar aswell up until the 30th of June.

Considering QR have not cancelled any flights due to a lack of these 9 planes it does suggest they can cope quite well without them atm. As I noted, QR had planes and crew doing nothing due to the issues over there atm.

1 Like

It’s not QR’s picket line though, I am not even going to dignify that kind of language.

3 Likes

@Heavydriver recognizes and relates to the other side of the picket line, his perspective is valid. The particular lexicon doesn’t need to be acknowledged but the bottom line is another story.

A perspective which hurls abusive and insulting language from one side to the other regardless of direction, or even at those who are your colleagues, does nothing to help resolve the situation and actually provides no perspective whatsoever. It merely perpetuates and deepens the divisions from an already difficult situation.

4 Likes

I wasn’t intending to perpetuate any insulting language, nor sway any argument from one side to another for any situation. I recognize your point, and in no way wish to degrade the situation any further in either or any other direction.

1 Like

Do you even fly for an airline. Based on your comments i take it the answer is no. This is not disrespectful towards a culture, religon, or creed this is union / industry mantra. These workersare striking because they are overworked and underpaid. Instead of the board of british airways feeling the impact due to service disruptions, Qatar crews willingly fly struck work is not only a disservice to the industry but an a slap in the face to BA crews.

Essentially, Qatar crews flying struck work is like kicking a dissabled person asking for assistance. There’s no honor in being a SCAB!

6 Likes

That is so nice, I am so happy that they did that

1 Like

Amen to that brother. 16 years AFL-CIO Heavy Highway Laborers 172 member here. Don’t cross the line! Period. I’ve worked on both sides and if it weren’t for unions there wouldn’t be holidays, vacations and weekends.

2 Likes

As I am sure everyone is aware Qatar(the country) is currently having major problems with its Middle East neighbours which is also affecting where the airline can fly. This is why Qatar (the airline_ are able to help out BA with aircraft and crew. Whilst I am sure it is done on a ‘mates rate’ I can assure you it’s not done from the goodness of its heart, it is business at the end of the world.

3 Likes

I one point I’m sure it’s after all business but it can be an act of goodness .

1 Like

Sadly in business “kindness” is a long way down the priorities of descion making. Those aircraft cost money sitting on the ground, the crew needs to be paid so best to keep them flying at a rate that pays the bills and even turns a profit.

1 Like

No of course I don’t work for an airline. Not sure why that is relevant. Strikes happen in all industries and people with your attitude exist outside aviation as well sadly.

Unless you learn to try and moderate your attitude and language though there seems little point trying to conduct a civilised discussion with you.

2 Likes

It would have been a management level decision, so your comment aimed at the crew is completely uncalled for (there are also nicer ways of saying things).

I know you see this from the operation’s perspective on a daily basis, but it’s worth considering the impact this has on others too. Seeing as BA has suffered in the past few months from several days of IT system failures, baggage system failures at LHR, etc. this strike is hardly good timing.

Yes, it’s important the crew get the best deal for the (mostly) outstanding work they do, but 16 days of impact to service for a business which has already suffered greatly in this quarter would just harm it even further, likely to a level where it won’t recover from easily. I’m sure the crew would rather a job to go back to (whilst negotiating and potentially striking at a later date) instead of being faced with the worst.

9 Likes

This is an excellent example of cooperation between rival airlines. Well, sort of rival. Qatar will eventually make something out of this and BA will recover. It warms my heart to see things like this.

1 Like

Firstly, that is a derogatory comment towards the disabled. For all you know, people here might feel very offended by that.
I happen to work in the aviation industry and understand their plight. Management cannot help everyone and there are always people that dislike the decision. I’m pretty confident that many people striking didn’t originally intend to strike but got dragged into the crowd by angry colleagues. It wouldn’t be the first time. Many people when put on the spot become crowd followers (no disrespect BA staff).
It’s not a slap in the face. Many airlines have been in this situation before. Airlines need competition too, and helping another va is not a disservice at all, it is an example of global cooperation. It will not have been cheap for Qatar and I respect them fully for choosing to help out.
Finally, if you’re going to post an argument, get your spelling and grammar correct if you want people to take you seriously.

Unfortunately Cameron, BA knew that this would come and did nothing to prepare for it. The organization of a strike doesn’t occur overnight and they’re not staged off the cuff. Unions give plenty of time for negotiations but unfortunately deadlines are missed so the people stand firm. In most cases these events are avoidable and preventable.

A few things to consider:

• The workers have a right to fair wages and a contract.

• The whole point of a collective agreement is compromise from both parties.

• If BA cannot keep their employees happy and their consumers happy then they’ve failed to manage and maintain their company.

Good Preventative Maintenance goes a long way. How can a company achieve this you might ask? Stay in tune with clients and employees wants and needs, be proactive and preplan for events such as strikes and arbitration, re-invest “profit sharing” in the company as a whole from the janitors to superintendents (if you don’t perform well then you don’t get a bonus!)

If you decide to send your formula one race team to the track and put bottom dollar tires, brakes and oil in your vehicle and expect it to compete in formula one races then best of luck.

6 Likes