British Airways retires the BabyBus (A318), end of the transatlantic LCY - KJFK flight, via Shannon

A British Airways A318-112 at London City.
Credits

Hello everyone! 👋

After the 744, today, British Airways announced that they will retire its A318-112s.
The retirement of the A318 will also end the historic LCY - KJFK flight…

The LCY-JFK route had been suspended in March, owing to the Sars-COV-2 crisis.

Rest in peace, BA BabyBus.

43 Likes

That’s sad. Saw one fly over my head on approach to Shannon once. This route stops off at Shannon on the outbound for anyone going to fly it ☺️

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll start crying again.

5 Likes

An absolute shame this, more targeted for the London businesses and avgeeks who have a bit of money. An iconic plane, route and flight number cant think of a route that can take such a flight number

2 Likes

Noooooo 😢
This was one of the handful of aircraft I would look forward to seeing fly over me on approach to Kennedy during the summer 😭
It’s so sad to see such iconic aircraft and airlines leaving us.

3 Likes

Sad to see, but it makes sense with business demand plummeting.

Air France and TAROM are now the only remaining public A318 operators.

3 Likes

Don’t forget Titan Airways.

Source

1 Like

Yeah when I said public I meant not charter, like Titan Airways. Air France and TAROM A318s can be easily flown on by the general public but Titan Airways is a different situation.

3 Likes

Ah ok, I did not have understand. 👍

Nooooooooo! I’m so sad 😭 😞. I always wanted to fly that route in IF. Looks like it’s too late now.

1 Like

A real shame, such a unique route. A airport in the heart of London never really worked anyway, I am sure that will be gone in a few years. Not the most efficient route with a stop over but 100% a cool one.

Sad to see so many planes and routes go from BA’s legacy. The 747 and then this :(

Cign :)

2 Likes

This route will probably start up again in the future, but probably with a different aircraft. It may even be a new supersonic passenger jet that’s not the Concorde.

2 Likes

They need a small plane lol

1 Like

A220 says hello

6 Likes

Really? Only those two? How many A318s do they have combined?

1 Like

Air France has 18 and TAROM has four.

Air France will likely phase out the A318s over the next few years as they begin to take delivery of the A220.

5 Likes

I had a feeling about this. Of course it’s sad to see the BA go. It’s been literally months ever since this route has stopped operating.

Another Aircraft on the scrap list. This time it’s one of the smallest in the BA fleet.

2 Likes

BA1 originated from Heathrow using the Concorde at some point along the line, then moved on to the A318 at London City. I personally imagine this flight number won’t be around for a while, or will move onto a 777, 787, or A350 route from Heathrow to New York when demand starts to get higher again.

It’s really sad to see such an iconic route, on such an iconic aircraft with the iconic airline, to a heritage flight with so much history, be gone becuase of this virus.

4 Likes

I was having a good day. Thanks for ruining it

1 Like

And the final bit of Concorde Ops die. BA001/002

3 Likes