British Airways Global System Outage

All flights from London are cancelled! What for a chaos at the airports. Hope they can find the solution!

1 Like

from Chris Calver

1 Like

Infinite Flight is next:-D

3 Likes

LHR Tower ATC must be rejoicing a little. No BA flights out of LHR means easy day for them. Sadly it must be a nightmare for Ground trying to figure out where to put all the inbound flights in the air before the outage.

A lot of BA heavies parked at the end of RWY 9R. No place to go as T5 slots appear to be full

5 Likes

More of a nightmare tonight when they are faced with a mess of delays to deal with, before the night deadline.

Not a day to be on the late shift :)

7 Likes

I feel really bad for people flying BA today. I hope this gets cleared up soon so people can be on their way.

2 Likes

Can I say something please

For everyone saying it’s WannaCry, I highly doubt it due to the following reasons:

1. Microsoft has released patches to fix the exploits discovered by the NSA. Now, it is a possibility that the systems haven’t been updated but I doubt it, especially as everyone has seen what WannaCry can do.

2. If it was WannaCry, the title would most likely be ‘BA Passengers Delayed by WannaCry attack’.

Lastly, there is a possibility of it being another virus taking advantage of the exploits. And before everyone says 'It’s obviously EternalRocks: you’re 100% Wrong. EternalRocks has been spreading, but nothing has happened yet. It runs invisibly. Now I would go into a number of things I think they’re going to use EternalRocks for, but this is a flight simulator forum, not a tech forum.

I apologize for turning this into a tech forum momentarily, but I wanted to clear this up. If you have any questions about my post please feel free to DM me.

6 Likes

Update: All Saturday flights from LHR and LGW are now cancelled.

4 Likes

It’s been updated again. They have cancelled ALL flights for the rest of the day not just until 18:00Z.

Here’s is the link to the news article

BA flights cancelled amid global IT crash - BBC News
https://apple.news/AAphrefdFTOKbFChEoQr5hA

3 Likes

My friends flight From Gatwick to Tirana just got cancelled

1 Like

The quietest I have ever seen Heathrow, in daytime.

3 Likes

Statement from the British Airways YouTube channel.

4 Likes

“root cause was a power supply issue”

…come on! An airline the size of BA undoubtedly has many, many contingency preparations: backup generators, multiple data centres, etc. all prepared to handle anything it gets hit with. A “power supply issue” shouldn’t be all it takes to bring down their global operation.

I don’t see it ending well for Crúz…

11 Likes

I completely agree, they have been victim to this type of thing a few times before so maybe they should invest more to improve their systems as this is unacceptable. I’m sure this incident will teach them because the amount of money this will cost won’t be small by any means. I have really stated to dislike BA, it’s all about cost cutting for them now and nothing more.

4 Likes

It’s not as unlikely as it might seems. I’ve seen it happen first hand. Redundancy might not have kicked in as it was supposed to… It can take quite a while to recover from stuff like that.

7 Likes

This isn’t even the first time it has happend with BA is it Cam?

You’d think they’d have got the got the message the first time. It’s actually going to be costing them a fortune after all.

6 Likes

You’d think they’d take a look into it seeing as it didn’t kick in as it was supposed to the last few times either :)

True that, but it’s hard sometimes. It happened for us (big mobile operator in Sweden) a couple of years ago. Our primary site went down due to power failure, and the mirrored backup didn’t take over. I don’t remember the exact cause of why it didn’t, but it happened. And we had to get the Primary one back up before the backup site could resume operations. It took over 24hrs due to several issues along the way.

3 Likes

I suppose. I imagine these things are much easier said than done to be fair.

1 Like

I got stuck when a similar thing happened to Delta several months ago. No computers at all. Atlanta looked like a fall-out shelter.

1 Like