British Airways Announces Retirement of 747 Family Fleet

Let’s hope that something just randomly happens and demand skyrockets

1 Like

Unlikely considering BAs biggest 747 market is the USA where they just had a massive increase in Covid cases. That was probably the final nail in the coffin.

2 Likes

4 Likes

This is sad. I’ll probably never be able to fly on one. But my one question is, will BA be replacing the 747 on the DEN-LHR route with the 777X, the tiny 787-8 or just cut the route all together.

1 Like

777-200ER

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/292100/british-airways-julyaugust-2020-long-haul-operations-as-of-26jun20/

They didn’t get rid of all of them, and the extra capacity makes it harder to fill compared to the 747. Comparing Lufthansa and British Airways can’t really be accurate, since they both cater to different markets around the world, with British Airways mainly operating a Boeing long haul fleet and Lufthansa choosing a mainly Airbus long haul fleet.

They don’t have a replacement currently. They will slowly be replaced by A350-1000s, 787-10s and starting in 2022 the 777-9X. The demand isn’t there so they’re in no hurry to replace them.

I have heard they plan to replace them with the 777s.

There should be a farewell speedbird 747 event on IF

1 Like

They do have extra B77W joining the fleet this year so that’s probably the reasoning behind them - to replace the Jumbo’s

1 Like

Great idea! You should start one.

2 Likes

Should I change the name of this thread to “British Airways Announces Retirement of 747 Family Fleet”?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I mean yeah, it’s not really a hint anymore cuz it’s basically an official proposal.

2 Likes

G-BNLA

G-BNLC (skip to 5:13)

G-BNLD

5 Likes

Let Green Day send them off in only the most appropriate way.

1 Like

And this song.

1 Like

Whaddabout this.

3 Likes

So now we know next week’s FNF will be based out of Heathrow, and will also feature airports where the BA 747 was a frequent visitor, e.g. JFK, JNB, CPT.

3 Likes

That’s a goodie too.