British Airways Announces Retirement of 747 Family Fleet

Time to get the tissues out… again.

Photo credit

British Airways have officially announced the end of their 747 program. This is a truly sad day for the Aviation world. BA’s queen will be missed.

Here’s the full article.

In memory of this great aircraft, I am making this my PFP for a while. Feel free to follow suit.

Note: This thread previously tracked BA’s hints at retiring these airplanes.

38 Likes
5 Likes

My very first flight was on a BA 747 from KDFW->EGLL

5 Likes

I love their 747, I’ve flown on it from ORD-LHR. I also see it come to Chicago alot.

No, please, no. I NEED A CHANCE TO RIDE ON ONE STILL

9 Likes

Oh no… no no… no no no no NO NO NO!

3 Likes

Today it’s been 31 years since their first -400 (G-BNLA) was delivered

2 Likes

I was gonna go on a BA 747 but they stopped flying them to Phoenix 😭

2 Likes

too early too early too early too early too early

1 Like

IMG_3669

9 Likes

Thanks @MJP_27 I’m gonna need those.

We will forever remember her as the true Queen of the skies.
3 Likes

It will be a terrible day when these leave the sky. Flown on them three times to/from my home airport, it’s a once in a lifetime experience.

3 Likes

The chances are that some may still fly even if its reduced to 5 of them

JUST SEND THE RETROS TO DUXFORD

G-BNLA

G-BNLC (Skip to 5:13)

G-BNLD

G-BNLE --> G-BNLZ (No G-BNLH)

G-CIVA --> G-CIVZ, G-BYGA --> G-BYGG & G-BNLY
3 Likes

softly don’t.

British Airways is probably the most important operator of the passenger Boeing 747 that exists. Ever since the decline of quad jet aircraft more and more airlines have been retiring theirs. Several airlines in these last months have retired their airlines, but very few would make me as sad as I would be once British Airways finally let go of theirs.

The Boeing 747 had one of the biggest impacts on the aviation industry of any airplane to ever exist. It shaped how aviation is to this day.

source

You will never be forgotten. Nothing can compare to the queen of the skies.

3 Likes

Guys, if you read the entire article, you will see that BA isn’t going to retire them (retirement is speculation as of now), they just suspended training, and the queen could return for a few more years.

6 Likes

I sure hope they last another long while! These planes were a huge part of my childhood, and I’ve flown them many times! I’ve even visited the cockpit of one of these.

I’ll be incredibly sad to see them leave (whenever that is)!