British Airways Adding Seats to Economy Class

In the race to the bottom, British Airways will be reconfiguring 25 777s into a 10-abreast economy configuration while reducing the business cabin. They will also be putting more seats into their narrowbody aircraft and seat pitch will drop to 29 inches.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/11/04/british-airways-adding-more-economy-seats/

5 Likes

I saw this earlier today, I then debated making a topic but I couldn’t be bothered :). I think it’s to maximise profits and airlines like emirates get away with it so I’m sure BA decided to just do it. The B777 is now officially the worst for space in the current times as airlines have adopted the 3-4-3 configuration while the A330 is the best

7 Likes

im waiting for the airbus fans coming in and blaming boeing for a cramp plane.

5 Likes

You mean 3-4-3 economy. 3-4-2 adds up to 9. As stated in the article, it seems BA is trying too hard to compete with Easyjet and Norwegian instead of doing their own thing.

3 Likes

Also people let Emirates get away with 10-abreast in their 777s because they have a fancy 5-star airline title, while they complain about Delta’s 9-abreast 777s being cramped.

1 Like

Emirates aren’t five star from what I remember, I think it’s because the food is better and the ICE IFE system is one of the best in the industry hence why people don’t complain, however BA at times can barley even do this so I wonder whether it will be successful. A lot of cost cutting going on at BA currently

2 Likes

Oh right yeah. Mixed up world’s best with 5-star. But yeah, it’s the prestige of the Emirates brand.

2 Likes

Yeah Emirates is 4 star rated , while Etihad ( recently ) and Qatar are all 5 star rated by Skytrax.

1 Like

If other airlines are doing this, why getting mad just at BA? Qatar seems like the only carrier to maintain the 3-3-3. I am flying on the 777-200lr next month on Emirates but i was lucky to snag the last row of seats so its 2-3-2.

2 Likes

It’s 2-3-2 but the seats aren’t wider. Anyway Qatar’s 77Ws are 3-4-3 but their 77Ls are 3-3-3. I think you forgot about United, Delta, Air China, China Southern, garuda, Singapore, and a handful of other carriers keeping 9-abreast.

2 Likes

True but it’s more convienent to be seating with one person next to u rather than 2. I am more in favor of 2-4-2. Didn’t united do something really idiotic like 2-5-2?? On 2-4-2. The middle row only has go through one person to go to isle.

1 Like

Many of the early production 777s were in a 2-5-2 configuration, probably because only 1 person in each row is 2 seats away from an aisle.

1 Like

Well, that’s kind of inevitable with all of BA’s peers going to 10 across. The times are a changin’. Thankfully I’ve had pretty good luck when I book my own travel with airlines not having 10/9-across configurations on the 777 and 787 respectively.

Yep, I’ve enjoyed my days in the spacious CX international economy cabin.

Nah, I’ve got myself booked on the JL Sky Wider II product. The last surviving 2-4-2 787s, had to pay dearly for it.

China southern have a 10 abreast seating pattern on the 777

Interesting, thank you for sharing!

But not all 10 abreast 777s are equal. As long as they give you a little more leg room and don’t put one of those silly IFE boxes under the seat, it can be cosy but not painful.

It’s the airlines that don’t give you the little extra leg room where it can be a painful experience.

I’m hoping BA do 10 abreast the right way.

As for fitting more seats to short haul, what took them so long?
Easyjet and Ryanair have been pummelling them in to the ground and stealing their customers to the extent that BA short haul passenger loyalty is nearly non existant.
Not many people complain about the Easyjet / Ryanair seating because the flights are short and cheap.

2 Likes

No, no, no, horrible move, the 777 was already cramped enough, BA didn’t have to add extra seats, I get it might give them more profit but it makes it a lot more uncomfortable for passengers

1 Like

Disappointing on so many levels. Their fares had better reflect this change overwise they’re going to lose A LOT of competition to Norwegian.

3 Likes