Bring back the Dash?

Reaching out to my fellow community members about opinions on the new camera position in the Bombardier Q400 Dash 8. As most of you know, recently the cockpit camera angle of this beautiful aircraft has been greatly lowered to point more at the instrument panels. Without a live cockpit this makes using the HUD to fly in the Captain seat EXTREMELY difficult. Feel free to vote below and share your thoughts!

Q400 Camera Postions
  • I want the old position back!
  • Doesn’t bother me.
  • I don’t care for it, but hope it will receive live cockpit and will patiently wait.
  • I don’t fly inside cockpit.
  • I don’t even use HUD.
  • You’re making a big deal out of nothing.
  • I have no idea what you are talking about.

0 voters

4 Likes

Come on goosey, I know we all can’t sleep at night because of this, but that doesn’t mean you can just post a #features request in #general, especially because you can do so! I suggest you remake it to be more like a feature request.

5 Likes

I respect that. But this is just me reaching out for other pilots opinions not making a request to this incredible company.

1 Like

Understandable, but at the same time, now is the perfect moment to do so: it’s too late to vote for 757 liveries, but too early to vote for A330 liveries. Anyways, I’ll leave it up to you and the glorious moderators not paid by this incredible company to decide the path this incredible company will go by.

1 Like

I haven’t flown it in a while, but if this is true, something tells me it’ll get another change soon, if you know what I mean.

1 Like

Thanks for your input! :) @dan1

1 Like

I love the Q400 for regional flights but that camera angle is a bit extreme

1 Like

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I visited the cockpit of a Q400 last year and sat in the Captains seat.

What I found is that the view in IF is accurate to that of it’s real life counterpart. Being a little taller than the actual captain on the flight, I’d imagine there should be no issues with the Dash 8’s view in app. Just a change that everyone will eventually get used to.

For reference, I am 5’ 11.

2 Likes

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the OP is referencing the angle that the cockpit cam is at by default, which was updated in 20.2, and that results in the HUD being aimed down.
It works with live cockpit instruments, but when it’s HUD only, it is difficult and tedious to fly…same goes for the C130.

Perhaps there should be 2 camera views, one oriented at the instruments, and one level, for HUD use.

9 Likes

@Jetcentric Could not be more correct. This is referring to the same angle view which was applied to all aircraft with live instruments including, A320 family, A359, B777 family and B737 family, where the default camera placement shows both out the front window and the instrument panel. This is wonderful for airplanes with the live panel but makes using the HUD next to impossible. That is no problem when you have instruments but with nothing but a 2D image and a much out of frame HUD view, it makes flying the Q400 from inside the cockpit quite the challenge. In my opinion, and what seems to be the majority vote, this change was made a little too soon as we still await the day in which this marvellous aircraft receives a live cockpit. Once again I am just reaching out for the thoughts of other pilots so thank you very much for your input @Adam_S :)

3 Likes

It just needs a cockpit rework and it will be fine. Doesn’t really make it any better now.

1 Like

and added more liveries

1 Like

Which would you like to see? @GameBoy_KIRB

1 Like

Asky airlines, Horizon air liveries and Flybe purple

1 Like

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Dash 8 isn’t level and is much like a CRJ, in that it is slanted (this goes for the C130 as well)

Research is fun, and I’d recommend you try it one day! 😀

They let you become and officer with that kind of disrespectful tone? What everyone here is trying to express (not complain about) is that unlike the CRJ this camera placement is set so the pilot looks at what is the cockpit floor. Thank you for your comment, I would recommend taking your advice.

1 Like

@moderators This topic is ready to be closed, thank you.

What are you even talking about?!?

The Cockpit view camera angle is tilted down, not the entire aircraft.
OP made a good point about the cockpit, and I was trying to explain it to you…I’m shocked by your level of sass and snark, especially from an IFATC Sup.

3 Likes

The aircraft isn’t level like a 737, it does have a bit of slant both in real life and IF (unless I’m going crazy). But you’re right, it is a change from previous builds.

(And I didn’t mean any harm or to come off as disrespectful, my intentions were to poke fun at myself. So I’m sorry if you took offense to my, allbeit a little bit harsh or snark comments).