Breaking the Sound Barrier and the Damage it Creates

I see many people take their f-22 and go 1,200 knots. When you do this, you break the sound barrier, creating a loud shock wave that breaks glass.(IRL) It is illegal (In the US atleast) to break the sound barrier over land or near land, as this can result in tons of damage to glass. The only exception is when there is a huge emergency, and you need to get somewhere quick. So next time when you break the sound barrier and start pulling 90g turns,keep this in mind, thanks!

11 Likes

That sounds impossible. 882 m/s^2 of centripetal acceleration will cause structural damage. The turn radius is too big for that kind of eye-popping acceleration numbers on those fighters.

3 Likes

On Infinite Flight anything is possible. While yes IRL that is impossible.

3 Likes

I’m going to load something up and try to pull 90G.

2 Likes

Went up in an F-18 and only managed 70G

2 Likes

:Ahem: mind you, this is a GAME. There aren’t actually any buildings or people. There isn’t even a shockwave that registers. Let people do what they want, since no damage is actually being done.

2 Likes

Actually, there is the guy inside the Cessna 172

2 Likes

This is actually a simulator. If you want to play a game go elsewhere.[quote=“13yearoldpilot, post:6, topic:43142”]
There aren’t actually any buildings or people.
[/quote]
So? You make a virtual airline yet there aren’t any real passengers.

Not forcing anyone to do anything, I was just spreading awareness.

5 Likes

I agree with what you said.
Good point. As most know, I’m all about the realism. :)

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Well, call it what ever you want, but in reality it’s a simulator. I really don’t want to make a huge deal out of this…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Like I said, “I don’t care what you call it.” I only called him out on it because hes using the word “Game” to make it seem like it shouldn’t be as realistic as possible.

Am i the only one who finds some of this posts funny!lol

1 Like

I was flying around in a Cessna the other day in IF and my windows shattered all of a sudden. Now I know why ;)

2 Likes

I think the point of his statement is to do realistic simulations. His example may be off but the point he is trying to make is sound. Dont go making a huge fuss about that 90G statement when it is off topic.

I understand the need to make a point, but posts should still be as factually sound as possible. I don’t think making a few replies is a huge fuss.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.