Braking when retracting gear?

When I am retracting my gear after takeoff, am I supposed to put the parking brakes on so that I am stopping the wheels as they go in? Or do pilots just leave them rolling really fast when they bring them back in. Thanks!

I didn’t know what category I should put this in, sorry if I put it in the wrong one

Just leave it!

The wheels will automatically stop, no need to put on the brakes :)

2 Likes

Are usually make sure the wheels are stopped before I will retract them

1 Like

No Problems

In a typical, real world scenario, on most passenger aircraft the brakes are automatically engaged as soon as you start to retract the landing gear. I guess for the sake of realism you could always engage them when retracting if you wanted to ☺️

1 Like

Thanks for the help

1 Like

There are mechanisms in place IRL to slow down/stop the wheels. Using the parking brake for this would not only be unrealistic, but IRL even dangerous due to a potential brake overheat.

Not 100% about the last part though.

2 Likes

This is correct. Minus the nose gear because most aircraft don’t have nose wheel brakes (the 727 being an exception) so they have a physical rubber attachment inside the nose gear to stop the nose wheels when retracted

2 Likes

IRL most parking brakes don’t engage without the pedals being depressed first. The parking brake is essentially just activating a brake accumulator to hold pressure so if there’s no pressure, then the brake can’t be engaged

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.