Brakes

Rudder breaking is better. I prefer it over normal breaking as it’s so much smoother and easier to control. Especially in crosswinds.

2 Likes

A pro for me is the fact is that I can simultaneously controll rudder direction and braking, this is extremely helpful in situation like you said in corsswids

2 Likes

Please show me an example…

1 Like

Wow, I never knew rudder braking was a thing in IF
You learn something new everyday ;)

3 Likes

I was as surprised when I learned it.
I turn the null zone and sensitivity down on the rudder because with it normal, touching the rudder jerks the plane around.

Found it here^^^

1 Like

I didn’t know you could do that! Thanks

1 Like

Hi all,
I made a calculation spreadsheet to deduce TD Ground speed, Ground roll, landing distance from a given runway and aircraft conditions for the tbm (altitude, temperature, wind speed and orientation, plane’s weight, etc.). I found that using parking brakes or full rudder brakes yields roughly the same ground roll values and that those are way shorter than what the tbm pilot’s manual give for full brakes, no reverse values in the same conditions. A few examples:
If 1075ft tbm manual 1855ft
If 1255ft tbm manual 1845ft
If 1035ft tbm manual 1847ft
If 909ft tbm manual 1811ft
I think the brakes are simply too strong. A simple value to change somewhere in the code?
Best landings to alk (with nice rolls)

1 Like

OMG i didn’t know this thing exist. O_O

3 Likes

Made this feature thread regarding the same issue. BRAKES button when tapped causes aircraft to brake unrealistically hard. There’s no variable braking system in IF currently. Sliding down the rudder control to brake slowly is not a reliable system (it’s the steering of the nosewheel due to the rudder action that slows the aircraft down gradually), for me most of the time it doesn’t respond.

2 Likes

Well it sort of works, but it would be great if the rudder button moved along a kind of visible braking force scale.
I still believe that diminishing the full brake force (definitely on the tbm and probably on most aircrafts as well) would be a valuable and easy step for our great developers! That would obviously multiply the number of optimistic/fast pilots crashing at the end of runway…
Thanks!

1 Like

👏👏👏👏👏 Brilliant!

1 Like

The number of crashes I guess! It would more fun indeed…

1 Like

It actually works! I just tried it

What works, the brakes or variable braking

I’ve tried that and I really have to watch my taxi speed as result or it’ll get away from me very quickly.

Sliding the rudder down to brake. I have been using IF since '14 and only discovered it today

3 Likes

Never too late! It helps.

I tried it for the first time today too and I’m like… "Ain’t THAT slicker than snot!!!"🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 Likes

Hey @Delta350
Rudder breaking does indeed exist on each and every aircraft in the SIM. However you have to pull quite far down on the rudder for it to even start happening.
It’s not the most sensitive thing, but it’s definitely there 😉

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.