Brake by percentage

I thought so too at first. But if you discard the notion of seeing any downward motion of the UI as you do when moving left to right, it’s clear that your rate of deceleration increases. It works. You just don’t see the button move downward.

2 Likes

But it will brake the same amount as if you were to press the “brake” button.

Thanks for the responses.
I’m still not getting it. Moving the rudder left/right turns the aircraft. I’m sure the aircraft slows down on full rudder but you will also end up in a ditch somewhere.

It’s ok. I’ll just use the (not variable) brake ;-)

Pull down, like down, on the RUD slider. Not left, not right, but down. You will see that your speed starts to decrease.

I have no idea what you mean by this…

When you press the brake button in IF, you can’t choose how much brake to apply. So instead, it would be better to have variable braking, which is what this feature request is about.

1 Like

Oh right, so you mean something like this: except for the brakes, not flaps obviously

Yeh I like this idea, I’ll consider giving up one of my votes for this :)

2 Likes

Yes, something like that or it could like the more you pull down on the rudder, the more brake pressure applied.

1 Like

The brake button in IF is the parking brake, the “real” brake is utilised by pulling down on the RUD slider.

This is the whole point.

I misinterpreted your post haha. Yes, braking by percentage would be a good feature to have, although it isn’t on the top of my wish list. I want taxiway lights more.

1 Like

Gosh, you guys are right, I tested it and you can indeed apply variable braking with the rudder by sliding down. The confusing part is that the rudder button doesn’t actually slide down. But it does do braking and it is variable.
I will use the rudder slide-down for variable braking from now on, and use the Brake ‘button’ as parking break, as suggested already.

Thanks for helping me to get this in my head.
I do believe this feature deserves more attention, and perhaps a rudder button that actually slides down with the move of your finger…

2 Likes

Oh wow. Did not know this either. Where did this come from. Just tested it as well and it works indeed. Funny stuff discovering new things after a long time.

1 Like

That’s precisely what already happens. You can see the rate of deceleration increase or decrease based on pressure applied current-state

2 Likes

But are you sure? @Danman said earlier in the topic that it could be a placebo effect…
When I tested it I thought it was as “powerful” as traditional brakes.

I’m sure it’s not the placebo effect, because I was a non-believer at first. I didn’t think it did anything. So I tested it at various pressures and the rate was definitely variable.

There’s no way it’s even close to the power of the brake button. That stops a 747 in 20 feet (hyperbole, obviously), while this is a more realistic slow down.

My background is math and science (and pharmacology, strangely enough). Believe me, I was looking for the placebo effect. I tested the heck out of it.

1 Like

Okay then, I guess it isn’t the placebo effect then. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of this 😉

Well i just did some rigorous testing at runway 19L @ KSFO in the a318, i would land short of the runway and hold exactly 120 knots until then final TDZ marker, and then apply the braking force. With parking brake, full rudder brake and partial rudder brake it always took 2600 feet to stop. Always. I will do some more testing in the 787 now

I have done lots of testing and the rudder brake is the EXACT same as the parking brake and doesn’t have variable braking. I’m 100% sure

A test is only as good as its set up.

I said that rudder brake allowed for variable rates of deceleration. I’ll skip the dubious claim that you can measure your exact stopping distance and the claim that you landed exactly the same every single time, because that has nothing to do with what I said.

I said it was variable. To prove this, all I need is one landing, and under the null hypothesis, I would not notice any difference in the rate by applying different pressure.

That null hypothesis is clearly proven false by a single test. Pull down slightly on the rudder, pink line extends a little. Pull down hard, pink line elongated further. Just to make sure, I even bounced the rudder, so-to-speak, and made the pink line yo-yo.

That’s testing the rate variation, and it most certainly works.

Maybe you are able to land at the exact same speed at the exact same point on the runway and measure (somehow) the exact stopping distance, but that wasn’t my claim. My claim that I can vary the rate of deceleration is clearly provable and repeatable.

1 Like