Books about aviation

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you all could let me know which aviation books you have read. I am trying to find books about aviation to read.

Thanks

5 Likes

Specifically about the functions of the aircraft and/or different aircraft specifications. Maybe even aviation accidents and incidents will do as well.

It is closed, but if you’re looking for some good books you can look on this thread.

One of my favorites is called Cockpit Confidential by Patrick Smith.

Happy reading!

4 Likes

A good book I’ve heard is Highest Duty: My Search for What Really Matters by Chelsey “Sully” Sullenberger. It mainly talks about the “Miracle in the Hudson”.

1 Like

I gotchu fam.

Over 800 pages of pure goodness.

and yeah thats the spirit of portland on the cover, we got a Boeing facility here

2 Likes

A must read by one of the greatest aviators to ever live!

2 Likes

A Fantastic read about every way you can kill yourself in a helicopter

2 Likes
  • Sully
  • QF32
  • QF32 technical
2 Likes

Completely agree. This is the best I’ve read so far. Also, QF32 is very good with a lot of insight into the ins and out of the a380 by Richard De Cresigny. It is about the events of QF32 ( hence the name) but also a history of how he got into aviation. These two are the best I’ve read, but they’re are plenty more…

3 Likes

You forgot Mark’s Christmas Pants.

1 Like

Try Air Frame by Michael Crichton. It’s Science Fiction and it is a good book, if you haven’t tried it. It also relates to some incident within real-world-aviation.

1 Like

FAA Handbook

3 Likes

Ya know, there’s a point whare you are interested in something, then there is the point whare you read government handbooks, I have crossed that line too unfortunately… 😂

1 Like

image this a book about a pilot during WW2

3 Likes

@ran… MaxSez: My favorite aviation author;
“Books by Ernest K. Gann”… No Island in the Sky particularly one of his first which lead me to read all he’s written. There in my hard back library
Gann is consider the father of aviation novelist with dozens of best sellers. There available on line at IBooks & Amazon Book.
Regards, Max

2 Likes

@Altaria55… “The Airplane Flying Handbook” is available free from
faa.gov under publications on the home page.
MaxSends

4 Likes

Better attend ground school then. That is quiet the book.

2 Likes

Man I still have that book and read it all the time! Definitely recommended for anyone interested in learning some new stuff. Great book. 10/10 IGN.

1 Like

Thanks! I bought two new books after everyone’s recommendations (Cockpit Confidential and Airframe)

@Maxmustang I agree! I had to read one of his books, Fate is the Hunter for a technical communications class. It was a great book and very informative. Lots you can learn from Gann’s books. I’ll have to check out Island in the Sky next. @ran some other good books if you are still interested. In terms of accident investigations and essays, William Langewiesche (son of Wolfgang, author of the renowned Stick and Rudder) has many books and columns to choose from. Looking at aircraft development, Langewiesche has another great book called Fly by Wire going over the development of fly by wire systems, with some focus with the Miracle on the Hudson, and there is also Free Flight by James Fallows. The Right Stuff is also always a great story and has a movie too if you have not seen it, I would highly recommend! Enjoy!

2 Likes